Go Down

Topic: Using the new IDE is a headache after another (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

rva1945

Feb 23, 2016, 01:31 am Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 01:34 am by rva1945
Sudenly, it refuses to compile a sketch that was working ok, with messages like 'int (the variable)' previously defined here', ridiculous as it is the first and only declaration of the variable.

I must add that I copy and pasted the whole error messages list and it gives the same error for each definition ("redefinition of...").

Sometimes with other sketches, it suddenly gives error: ld returned 5 exit status, and sometimes buy just adding a Serial.println anywhere it is fixed.

Now I restored a copy of a sketch that I saved as soon as it was working, but now it can't be compiled.

I find posts from other users complaining about the latest version. I'm running 1.6.7.

I tried to install previous versions, like 1.6.6, 1.6.0, 1.5.8, some worked without altering the sketch but then it refused to connect to the COM port, even when it was clearly detected in Device Manager as the COM4.

All of this is frustrating.

PaulS

All of this is frustrating.
Did you have a programming question, or did you just want to frustrate us, too?
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

rva1945

I just copied the ino into another PC running 1.6.5 and it compiles like a charm.

rva1945

Under Programming Questions it says:

Understanding the language, error messages, etc.

Well, I have this problem with  error messages that I don't know why they happen.

PaulS

Well, I have this problem with  error messages that I don't know why they happen.
Well, we have this problem with you not posting code or error messages. If we can live with our problem, you can live with your problem.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

rva1945

Now, does it make sense to post the error codes when after going back to 1.6.5 (from 1.6.7) now it compiles the sketch?

Of course, the rule is there ar no rules. Now, even though COM4 appears in Control Panel...Device Manager (I tried to update the driver but it says that it is already updated) and having it selected in the IDE, it doesn't upload any sketch.

Delta_G

Now, does it make sense to post the error codes when after going back to 1.6.5 (from 1.6.7) now it compiles the sketch?

It certainly does if you want anyone here to be able to tell you why you got them.  Otherwise all I can say is you're doing something wrong.  It all works fine for me.
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

MorganS

I have the answer to your problem but I didn't type it into this post.

Use the "copy error messages" button on the IDE and let us help you! Use [ code ] tags please.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

nickgammon

Yes, of course it does. Your earlier sketch may have used deprecated behaviour. Or, you might have found a bug in the IDE. Now I can hardly submit a bug report on what you have posted so far.

Post minimal code that reproduces the problem (in code tags).
Post the error message(s).
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Go Up