Go Down

Topic: Relay Malfunctions with Manual Override Switch (Read 4768 times) previous topic - next topic

geoffism00

Feb 29, 2016, 09:56 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 10:25 pm by geoffism00
Hi,

I have 12v from my arduino plugged into my breadboard. From the breadboard I have a diode between ground and 12v then 12v running to a 2channel relay to power 2 solenoids and another 12v wire to a 12v toggle switch so I can active one of the solenoids manually.  

When I turn the Arduino on the relay's 2 led lights are illuminated but not fully and one of the solenoids click on and off and the other just turns on. The strange part is when I turn the 12v toggle switch on and then start the arduino then wait a second and flip the toggle switch off everything works likes its suppose too. Also, when I disconnect 12v from the relay everything works fine regardless of the toggle switch's position. Although the relays do turn on and open all the way and then turn back off when it's "working properly". This could be part of the problem.

What am I doing wrong? I'm fairly certain its not in the code since disconnecting wiring helps. I did the best I could to make a fritzing diagram.

Thanks in advance
G

Boardburner2

Feb 29, 2016, 10:22 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 10:39 pm by Boardburner2
Sounds very strange.

Fritzing , not preferred.

Either a proper circuit diagram or a photograph of your setup clearly showing the connections.

geoffism00

I don't know how to make a circuit diagram and my pic wont be clear. I have a bunch of other wires and sensors hooked up that don't affect the circuit. My guess is I might need transistors some where but I'm not sure where or the rating.

Boardburner2

I don't know how to make a circuit diagram and my pic wont be clear. I have a bunch of other wires and sensors hooked up that don't affect the circuit. My guess is I might need transistors some where but I'm not sure where or the rating.
Where is the fritzing diagram ?

Boardburner2

Feb 29, 2016, 10:34 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 10:38 pm by Boardburner2
OK i found it.

First thought no supply for 12v shown and no detail for the relay board ,Link please.

But it appears that the relays are designed for 5 V from the markings but share the same supply as the 12v solenoids.

Also how is the arduino powered.

geoffism00

Feb 29, 2016, 10:44 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 10:58 pm by geoffism00
This is the exact relay and 12v from a wall wort plugs directly into the arduino's 2.1mm jack and is 2amps.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-optocoupler-Compatible-Atomic-Market/dp/B00TMFVVG6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456782075&sr=8-8&keywords=2+channel+relay

I thought you connected 12v to common on relay then 12v from toggle to NC and solenoid power and the 5v just activates the relays.

Boardburner2

Feb 29, 2016, 11:12 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 11:12 pm by Boardburner2
Photo

Boardburner2

It seems attatchments no longer work.

The link you provided shows 12 V relays, they will not operate from 5V corrrectly, even if you have the solenoid supply connected correctly with 12 V, and i suspect you do not ,they require a 12 v voltage on the coil.

The arduino cannot supply this.

I tried to post a circuit diagram based on your fritz.

E

geoffism00

I got it to work as soon as i removed one of the other solenoids (link below).  I think the relay activates on 5volts but will run 12v appliances because of the octocoupler.

If i remove this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-U-S-Solid-Replacement-Solenoid-Valve-for-RO-Water-Purifying-Systems-/272121783596?hash=item3f5bb8e52c:g:uDwAAOSwo0JWMwrC

everything works like its suppose too but I don't have another one to test to see if it works with it.

Boardburner2

You have still not provided details of the power supply connections.

They are rather important.

The fact that removing one of the solenoides makes it work would indicate this.

geoffism00

I'm not really quite sure what other details you are looking for its a 12v 2 am wall wort that plugs into the arduino's 2.1mm power jack. It's how I power VIN with 12v which is what I use to power the solenoids.

Here is a link to my PSU

http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Switching-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B015GRCCIO

Boardburner2

wall wart to arduino jack should be fine.
12V to solenoid also fine PROVIDED that the connections are correct.

These are missing from your fritzing diagram.

I have converted your fritzing diagram to a circuit diagram which shows other problems but am unable to post.

Describing in words is probably pointless.

A photo of your actual setup could probably be better even if it is not a good pic.

Your fritzing diagram lacks detail as well in that its difficult to read the legend.
That may be a drawback of fritzing though.

Wawa

Why the ground wire on the toggle switch.
That will short Vin to ground when the switch is in the off position and the left relay is active.
Remove that ground wire. You don't need it.
Leo..

geoffism00

I have a new symptom. When the toggle is in the off position the whole system shorts out and the LED lights get real dim. When the switch is in the on position the system works and there is no power drain. I reworked some of the wiring as I had the solenoids and switch on NO instead of NC. One more thing, once the system is on and has started looping I can turn the toggle off and everything still works fine but if I try and turn off or on one of the relays the lights dim.

I'll try and borrow a camera but no guarantees I don't use cell phones at the moment ($).

Wawa

When the toggle is in the off position the whole system shorts out...
Told you in post#12
Leo..

Go Up