Go Down

Topic: Relay Malfunctions with Manual Override Switch (Read 4769 times) previous topic - next topic

geoffism00

Why the ground wire on the toggle switch.
That will short Vin to ground when the switch is in the off position and the left relay is active.
Remove that ground wire. You don't need it.
Leo..
I tried that but now the led on the toggle doesn't work and the toggle switch doesn't turn anything on or off. Also, even though the relay isn't active and regardless of toggle position the solenoid turns on.

geoffism00

wall wart to arduino jack should be fine.
12V to solenoid also fine PROVIDED that the connections are correct.

These are missing from your fritzing diagram.

I have converted your fritzing diagram to a circuit diagram which shows other problems but am unable to post.

Describing in words is probably pointless.

A photo of your actual setup could probably be better even if it is not a good pic.

Your fritzing diagram lacks detail as well in that its difficult to read the legend.
That may be a drawback of fritzing though.
Everything is in my diagram... both water valves, switch, relay and i don't have a 12v picture of my PSU but I put in my description. Wiring on my sketch reflex what I have but I did hook up both grounds on the relay and I am using the relay in the amazon link.

Try and post the problems I will google things that are over my head.

Wawa

What is the purpose of the toggle switch. Ability to bypass the Arduino?

So the toggle has a LED.
Do you have a link to the switch.
Leo..

geoffism00

What is the purpose of the toggle switch. Ability to bypass the Arduino?

So the toggle has a LED.
Do you have a link to the switch.
Leo..
Yes, its to bypass the arduino. I need an override that can activate the one solenoid manually.

Yes
Yes, Here is the link http://www.ledssuperbright.com/led-toggle-switches-12v-p-344

Boardburner2

Everything is in my diagram... both water valves, switch, relay and i don't have a 12v picture of my PSU but I 
No its not.

Components are there but the way they are connected are not.

The power connection circuit is very important even if you get the signal pins connected correctly.

geoffism00

Mar 01, 2016, 04:35 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 04:42 am by geoffism00
No its not.

Components are there but the way they are connected are not.

The power connection circuit is very important even if you get the signal pins connected correctly.
OK BUDDY you win I give up moving on...

Wait is your point that I might need more amps?

Wawa

Mar 01, 2016, 04:42 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 04:48 am by Wawa
Right. Did not know you had a switch with a LED.
I think "toggle" is confusing.
It's a SPST switch with LED ground.
Seems to be wired correctly.
Leo..

Boardburner2

Mar 01, 2016, 04:43 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 04:57 am by Boardburner2
I was trying to be helpful here.

Most here generally are.

I am sorry if you do not like the replies you get do not agree with what you think the problem may be.

geoffism00

Right. Did not know you had a switch with a LED.
Toggle is the wrong word for this switch (blame the website), hence the confusion.
It's a SPST switch with LED ground.
Seems to be wired correctly.
Leo..
thanks any way...

Really have no idea how to fix this guys... Might try an N Channel MOSFET first with the relay then without and the word is out on Facebook that I need to borrow any camera. 

dlloyd

Mar 01, 2016, 06:47 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 07:21 am by dlloyd
Too bad your relay module requires 5V for the relay coils and they're not the 12V type. There won't be enough current available on Arduino's 5V pin (only about 100mA) when the Arduino powered by 12V on VIN. The relay module will draw about 180mA with both relays energized.

Therefore, you need a separate 5V supply for the relay module.

I think the internal of your switch would be similar to this (but if the switch has built-in LED resistor is unknown)

Wawa

OP's link to the switch states "10-14V Operation".
So there must already be a current limiting resistor inside the switch.
Leo..

dlloyd

I agree, its built in.

Wrong type of switch for an external manual override control as its only SPST. To externally bypass the Arduino and get manual ON/OFF control of the relay, DPDT type would be more adequate ... or SP3T with center OFF.

dlloyd

Go Up