Go Down

Topic: arduino freezing near engine ignition (Read 2134 times) previous topic - next topic

inryjo

Have a few ferrite cores handy?

For your RPM signal, try using a series 1K resistor ... if not resolved, try adding a ferrite core (wrap this wire through it 1-turn (straight through) then test. If not resolved, try 2 turns, and so on up to 10 turns.
Make sure its not too many turns as this could limit the maximum RPM or pulse rate that can be monitored.

I'm sure you'll need to connect the grounds ... could use a ferrite in this GND to GND wire with 5-10 turns through a ferrite core (the more turns the better). The +5V supply wire could also be wrapped through this core (5-10 turns if possible).

EDIT: I'm assuming the RPM pickup signal is in the 0-5V range. If not, an appropriate voltage divider is needed, or higher value series resistor to limit the input's internal protection diode current to <=1mA.
Yes it is 5v.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll try soon.

inryjo

Have a few ferrite cores handy?

For your RPM signal, try using a series 1K resistor ... if not resolved, try adding a ferrite core (wrap this wire through it 1-turn (straight through) then test. If not resolved, try 2 turns, and so on up to 10 turns.
Make sure its not too many turns as this could limit the maximum RPM or pulse rate that can be monitored.

I'm sure you'll need to connect the grounds ... could use a ferrite in this GND to GND wire with 5-10 turns through a ferrite core (the more turns the better). The +5V supply wire could also be wrapped through this core (5-10 turns if possible).

EDIT: I'm assuming the RPM pickup signal is in the 0-5V range. If not, an appropriate voltage divider is needed, or higher value series resistor to limit the input's internal protection diode current to <=1mA.
What about the size of those ferrite cores ?
I've got scrap coils (attached image). Can I use something either by decoiling it or serial add in my pickup/supply/gnd lines ? (I don't know the specs)

dlloyd

Mar 08, 2016, 03:51 pm Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016, 03:56 pm by dlloyd
I would try the largest of the 3 right hand coils in the image.

EDIT: The second and last (left to right) look good. You could serial add them. Trial and error ... see which coils work best.

ohreally

inryjo,
Was there any solution that worked for you?
I have the same problem with Mega going crazy near sparks system.

Please advice...

Go Up