Go Down

Topic: very basic computer processing question (Read 953 times) previous topic - next topic

razorboy

Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 am Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 am by razorboy Reason: 1
I'm interested in purchasing a Diecimila, but I haven't been able to verify it can do exactly what I want.

Basically I want to be able to wire it up to push button switches, and then when I press buttons I want it to launch apps or macros on the PC.

I've found that I can open a serial connection to the Diecimila, and then monitor the traffic, but then what do I do with it? If there is a FAQ somewhere that covers it I would appreciate if someone could forward me to it.

Thank you!

Edit: I forgot to mention I wanted to do this on a Windows PC.

MikMo

Jan 15, 2008, 10:18 am Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008, 10:20 am by MikMo Reason: 1
Making the Arduino board read switches and send info to the PC is easy.

But you will need a program on the PC that can monitor the serial port on the PC and then launch your applications depending on the data it reads from the port.

This can be done in most programming languages / environments on your PC.

mem

Jan 15, 2008, 10:45 am Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008, 10:45 am by mem Reason: 1
You don't say if you have any experience with programming languages for the Windows environment.

If not, then this page http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/Processing explains how to use the Processing environment to communicate with the arduino. Processing is similar to the development environment of the arduino so could be a good place to start.

If you are familiar with Windows programming environments like Visual Basic or C# then you can find examples of how to do what you want doing a search here or in google.

Go Up