Will you write encoder code for a charity for disabled kids?

Hello collaborators,

I need help making a device for a charity that helps disabled kids. I am not a great programmer so I'm looking for someone to help write code for two encoders. All your time and effort will go to a device that will be donated to charity (a tax deduction if you want). I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Dumbname2016

Reading encoders is pretty simple. pjrc.com has an encoder library (Encoder Library, for Measuring Quadarature Encoded Position or Rotation Signals) and pictures showing how to connect the encoders.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I have a teensy 3.1 from pjrc.com. Specifically I need unique encoder code for a usb human interface device to emulate a joystick. Anyone willing to help?

Dumbname2016

That would require, minimally, the addition of a USB host "shield".

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_USBHostShield.html

Why would that need a host shield?
I have some code (actually a complete assembled product!) that takes pushbuttons inputs sends keyboard signals over HID. I haven't done anything with joysticks but I'd imagine they are quite similar.

@OP: If you think my "keyboard" assembly would be useful, I'd be happy to send it to you since the project it was built for is over with. Just send me a PM.

cedarlakeinstruments:
Why would that need a host shield?

Well, that would be because the OP posted:
Specifically I need unique encoder code for a usb human interface device to emulate a joystick.

So, there is this now contingent USB device not mentioned in the original post in the mix.

So, there is this now contingent USB device not mentioned in the original post in the mix.

OP also mentioned using a Teensy, which has built-in HID capabilities.

PaulS:
OP also mentioned using a Teensy, which has built-in HID capabilities.

I think that means that it can act like a USB keyboard or a mouse, as a Leonardo or Esplora.
But does that mean that it can accept, natively, input from a USB keyboard or mouse (etc.) ?
I think that's why they sell the host shield.

I'm still looking for help. If you want to help disabled kids let me know. I'll share a video link of the project in use so you can watch the results.

circuits@home also offers a pretty nice USB Host shield.. (and a mini version thaty pairs nicely with a Pro-Mini/Pro-Micro)

Anyone willing to work on a project backed by the NSF to help disabled kids? Contact me!

Anyone want to help a charity for kids with disabilities?

Dumbname2016:
Anyone want to help a charity for kids with disabilities?

If you actually want someone to help why don't you respond to some of the discussion here instead of just bumping your post over and over. You say

Dumbname2016:
I need unique encoder code for a usb human interface device to emulate a joystick.

So I'm assuming that the encoder is your input to the Arduino and then the Arduino is going to plug into a computer with a USB cable and output the signal as movements of an emulated joystick. Is this correct? Which encoder are you planning to use? Post a link to a datasheet. I think there is some confusion on what the input device to the Arduino is:

So now there is discussion of whether you are trying to use a USB joystick as the input device to the Arduino which I don't think is you intention because then of course you could just plug the joystick straight into the computer. You're asking someone to donate their valuable time to your project but you won't even make the effort to provide sufficient information. Explain why an Arduino is required. Have you taken the time to look for preexisting input devices that already do what you want without requiring a custom device to be designed and programmed?

Pert,

Is someone was talking to me?

Data sheet: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/TW-700198.pdf

I won't make an effort to provide who with what information?

Dumbname2016:
Is someone was talking to me?

They were discussing your project and getting off on the right track. This is a conversation you started so you are part of it and responsible for keeping it going in the right direction. We only have the information you provide to work with.

Dumbname2016:
Data sheet: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/TW-700198.pdf

Ok, so I'm going to assume the two encoders are the input which will be used by the Arduino to control the movements of an emulated HID joystick. So no USB host shield is needed. Please explain how the encoder input will be interpreted into joystick movements. Is one the x axis and the other is the y axis? Those encoders also have a push on switch, will those be used to emulate joystick buttons?

Pert,

That is correct. We also have some unique if/else statements needed to make it suitable for kids with disabilities.

Thanks.

Do you want to use an Arduino Leonardo/Micro/Pro Micro or do you want to use a Teensy? Teensyduino has a built in Joystick library and I found one for the standard Arduino boards: GitHub - MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary: An Arduino library that adds one or more joysticks to the list of HID devices an Arduino Leonardo or Arduino Micro can support. but they have different APIs so the code would be different depending on the hardware.

Dumbname2016:
We also have some unique if/else statements needed to make it suitable for kids with disabilities.

You should probably provide that information. Do you already have code written for this project?

Pert,

I have a Teensy 3.1 and an Arduino Micro. Thanks for the link. I do not have any of the if else statements written, that's the part I need help with.

Thanks

Dumbname2016:
I have a Teensy 3.1 and an Arduino Micro.

Which one do you prefer the code to be written for?

Dumbname2016:
I do not have any of the if else statements written

Please provide a complete description of what these "if else" statements should do.

Dumbname2016:
that's the part I need help with.

What part don't you need help with? Have you done any work on the project so far? If so please share what you have.

If you want someone to work on this you need to provide as much information as possible. Not just vague statements. I shouldn't have to drag it out of you.

I thought that i had offered a complete solution for this problem using an Arduino MINI acting as a USB mouse and even sent you some code.

It all went a bit pair shaped when you asked me to give you full IP to everything i had given you.

I said i would be happy to do that as long as it was not used commercially as you where doing this as a charity gig and if i was to give you the code i would not expect you to profit from it.

Has something changed since then ?

Cheers Pete.