Go Down

Topic: arduino future (Read 4329 times) previous topic - next topic

newsogn

I am an arduino guy and I have something on my chest.

So I love arduino, i love the ide I love the forum and I love the boards, sheilds, everything. I  am still pretty much a noob I feel like I have mastered everything a novice can on an uno and have moved up to a due. But this is where the arduino platform is letting me down. The uno is a cost effective board and it is great. but what does arduino offer for the person who wants more power, the person who wants more than an uno.

which brings me to my point there are offerings from arduous for that person. the zero is a good example. But the problem is that Arduino.cc is too proud of their stuff. 50 bucks for an arm processor??? are you kidding? and we wonder why clones are such a problem. because someone can go and buy a cheap Chinese one for probably half.

How is it that the raspberry pi guys can make a single board computer with way more features namely wifi and bluetooth in the new raspberry pi 3 their software is just as good and readily available all for 35 bucks. why cant arduino make it cheaper!!!! I beleive that if genuine arduinos were cheaper then less people would buy clones and more money would go to arduino.cc. But as it stands now I will have to start looking for a better platform, I need more power and Im not gunna pay the arduino tax.

I love arduino but I cant be the only one who is on a budget.

pert

If you think the Uno price is reasonable then maybe you would consider the Arduino 101 for only $5 more.

newsogn

I appologize for the rant but why would I do that when i could just wait for a the clone to come out at half price? If the clones are a problem for arduino.cc then why not try to cut the cost of the genuine ones and drive the clone market out of business? thats my point. the 101 is a great board at a descent price as well I shouldnt say all arduino genuine stuff is overpriced but you go to the advanced features portion and it gets pretty expencive. Reallistically what I want is a due, more pins multitudes higher clock with tons of comunications options, not to mention can, thats pretty cool. But i cant buy one unless I go to a clone, or a teensy.

PaulS

How is it that the raspberry pi guys can make a single board computer with way more features namely wifi and bluetooth in the new raspberry pi 3 their software is just as good and readily available all for 35 bucks.
Where is it made?

newsogn

Mar 03, 2016, 04:57 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 05:03 pm by newsogn
I watched a video about the new one that said it was made in england. whales to be more specific. I could be wrong on that and I dont know where they get their chips from.

Delta_G

Just buy the clone.  That's what most of us on this forum would do.  I don't personally give a rats ass if Arduino makes any money. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

newsogn

hahahahaha yea thats true, the thing about it is that I would like to see the arduino platform continue to grow. But I think they are too proud of their stuff.

68tjs

Mar 05, 2016, 11:24 pm Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 11:26 pm by 68tjs
To return to another subject (Hernando Barragan's response in "Sports Bar",  if Arduino has forked Wiring, instead of cooperating,  it is the sole purpose of making money.
Arduino = Making Money.

There was nothing illegal in it, even if some are disturbed.
Just one reservation: in my humble opinion in its conflict with SRL, LCC should avoid talking about morality.

For more power and cheap you have the STM32 from STMicro.
On Ebay you have two inexpensive models (under $ 5) Clock = 72 MHz : F103C8T6 (flash=  64k) and F103RBT6 ( Mapple clone flash = 128k ). Form factor = nano not UNO.

Programing :
- There is a group that adapt  Arduino language to STM32 (www.stm32duino.com)
This group is totally independent of Arduino.

- More simply these microcontroler are  programed from the MBED project with Mbed functions which are a little different from arduino but not too much.

newsogn

Mar 05, 2016, 11:45 pm Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 11:51 pm by newsogn
Hey I will look into those for sure I guess my reservation to that is that the library compatabuility. Are there a fare amount of libraries for that system. Cuz frankly I am not smart enough to figue that stuff out lol. But I also am not willing to pay arduino 50% more to do it either.

But on that note I just ordered an esp8266 nodemcu. built in wifi with plenty of IO and the one I bought was $6.70 off ebay. In pure theory the only problem is that there is only 1 analog input. So we will just see how that works out.

Delta_G

Mar 06, 2016, 03:34 am Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 03:34 am by Delta_G
In pure theory the only problem is that there is only 1 analog input. So we will just see how that works out.
Get a multiplexer chip to go with it.
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

shawnlg

I suspect something of Arduino will survive because of the open source nature of the environment.  But with cheap chips and modules from China, I don't see how Arduino as a for-profit corporation can make any money.  And there are so many non-arduino things that can be programmed with the IDE that people may lose interest in the standard expensive arduinos and get something else. 

I program directly on the Atmel processors for the most part now.  No real need for an entire Arduino except for the handy voltage regulators they have.
Shawn Gordhamer

pert

You're losing sight of the target market for Arduino: beginners. I also mostly just buy chips now but my cousin's kid is almost old enough to get started with this stuff and I'm going to buy him an Arduino. I want him to have the easiest possible introduction and a Chinese clone, 3rd party hardware, or bare chip is less likely to provide that. The cost of an Arduino is insignificant when you consider the educational value. As long as Arduino remains the most beginner friendly option their profitability is secure. I consider the increasing buggyness of the IDE to be a more significant threat to their future than competing hardware options.

TonyD

Mar 16, 2016, 01:21 pm Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016, 01:27 pm by TonyD
Where is it made?
Just to confirm the Raspberry Pi is made in the UK or more precisely made in Wales. They've been making them there for the last couple of years.

68tjs

I think, as the Arduino Yun, Rasp-PI micro-controller  is not completely open source.
 Clone Yun like Rasp-Pi is  harder than clone a UNO.
Consequently it is easier to keep the manufacturing in Europe.

newsogn

Pert you are absolutly right. I totally agree. But another thought is that arduino.org can do beginer just as well as arduino.cc

But that is the reason I got into arduino and the reason I would like to keep supporting it.

Go Up