Go Down

Topic: annoying library update message (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jixe

Hi,

How can I disable the annoying message window, which pops up on the screen and tells me there are updates for " some of my libraries" without giving me a clue about which ones and what I should do about it. It's only function as far as I can see is to cover parts of the screen I would like to read.

I am quite happy with libraries as they are for my purposes, I would just like to disable the useless message.

Thanks

pert

Unfortunately there's no way to disable it other than to update the libraries. To do this click on the word libraries, wait for the updatable libraries list to load and then click on each one and Update. I also find it very annoying how the pop up is implemented. Probably too much information, but updating libraries can potentially cause problems if you have boards packages other than Arduino AVR, SAM, and SAMD installed, see: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/4064.

gpsmikey

I get my prescriptions from an online place (Express Scripts) that does quite well EXCEPT for their web interface to people.  Everybody jokes about it.  You will get an email from them telling you "we may be doing something with one of your prescriptions" basically.  Not a clue which one or just what they are doing and if you go to their web page, it takes you 10 minutes to find what they are talking about.  Either tell me what you are talking about or don't bother with the message - this "there might be a problem somewhere (but we won't tell you where" message is not useful to anyone.  Now if the message popped up and you could click a link to see which libraries they were talking about, that would be very helpful.
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

sterretje

It's an option that can be switched off. Not sure what the menu is (file -> preferences?).
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

pert

Now if the message popped up and you could click a link to see which libraries they were talking about, that would be very helpful.
You can do exactly that. When the notification pops up click on the blue word libraries, then wait for the libraries index to finish downloading. Library Manager will show you a list of all the updatable libraries. You can accomplish the same thing by Sketch > Include Library > Manage libraries... > Type: Updatable except you'd have to do that regularly to make sure you're using the most up to date versions of all your libraries. I think the notification is a very useful feature but it's poorly implemented. The popup steals screen focus even if Arduino IDE is running in the background, there is no way to ignore an update, and the UI is confusing.
It's an option that can be switched off. Not sure what the menu is (file -> preferences?).
I guess that would be File > Preferences > Check for updates on startup? I had thought that preference only referred to updates to the IDE, good to know, thanks!

gpsmikey

Ah, good info!!  Thanks everybody.
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

sterretje

The popup steals screen focus even if Arduino IDE is running in the background, there is no way to ignore an update, and the UI is confusing.
It indeed takes some real estate away from the screen and is 'always on top'. For me the worse part is that the IDE becomes very unresponsive from about 10 seconds before the popup appears. Happily hacking code and nothing happens.

I guess that would be File > Preferences > Check for updates on startup? I had thought that preference only referred to updates to the IDE, good to know, thanks!
Yes, that is the one. It was actually pure coincidence that I tried it just before the question came up.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

jixe

Thanks for the replies guys. As with life in general, I tend to feel, if it's working don't fix it. Libraries included.

Go Up