Go Down

Topic: Amperage too high? (solved) (Read 8298 times) previous topic - next topic

jakub014

Thank you so much for your advice,

as far as I understood, I need 2 4k7 ohm resistors at the beginning of the SDA and SCL line and 8 0.1uF ceramic capacitor, right?

Grumpy_Mike

Right. The resistors can be fitted anywhere, from the signal line to +5V, the position doesn't matter.

jakub014

Mar 16, 2016, 07:27 pm Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016, 10:17 pm by jakub014
I've got 2 questions left:

can I use the capacitors in a breadboard like this (imagine the resistor would be a capacitor):

Do I have to care about the rating of a capacitor, because this one has  a rating of 50V

and I would use this to connect my adapter with the circuit. But Im wondering what is + and - there, and can I just put the - straight into the ground of this component?
A little question I have as well is wether I need adjust my arduino for the power supply at the 5V pin.

Grumpy_Mike

Yes you can put components directly into the bread board like that. For the capacitor cut the leads short.

Yes you could use that board if you get a lead that delivers power like that. I think normally it is the type B that receives power not the type A

No preparation is needed to drive the Arduino with the +5V line.

raschemmel

@jakub014,
Why are you doing this ? Is this a school project ?
Based on the schematics you posted and the questions you asked, you have little experience with electronics. Are you a hobbyist or electronics student ?

jakub014

Mar 17, 2016, 05:32 pm Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 05:37 pm by jakub014
@raschemmel Unfortunately my IT teachers came up with the idea to make an arduino project over some months. We barely had any experience about electronic and arduino at the beginning. Additionally our teachers just gave us 2 lessons about electronics and 8 about arduino basics in general. So, Im apologizing for beeing such a difficult case, I thought it would be easier to control some LEDs.

@Grumpy_Mike  
I think normally it is the type B that receives power not the type A
Is that a problem? If yes, would you recommend me a board that fits in my project? (perhaps from here, cause Im ordering most of the things there.)

raschemmel

USB-A is the flat one that plugs in a computer.
USB-B is the other end that plugs in a printer (or an arduino).

jakub014

So I could use for example this one?

raschemmel

That adaptor would have to be the 5V source, because the other end would plug into the arduino and provide 5V to the arduino.

Is that what you are asking ?

jakub014

Is that what you are asking ?
Yes kind of, I meant wether this component would be fitting or not, but I think your answer expects this already, so my question would be solved.
Im still wondering what the ports of this board (VCC, GND, ID, D- and D+) are or which of them I need.
the board

Grumpy_Mike

Im still wondering what the ports of this board (VCC, GND, ID, D- and D+) are or which of them I need
You need just VCC, and  GND to power your system.

I would advise against that micro connector. In my experience with the Raspberry Pi, these coupled with the lead often have a high resistance. As you are driving a high-ish current through them this can lead to an unacceptable voltage loss. Best go for the full size connectors.

jakub014

So you would recommend me this one or none of them?

Grumpy_Mike

No. Look at the USB socket that is on your Arduino. Use that type.

jakub014

Ok I got 2 final questions:
1. I dont find any full size USB B breakouts, just micro or mini....
2. Im not sure what 0.1uF cermaic capacitor I need because they have always high voltage data. Can you show me one, which is suitable for this project?

Grumpy_Mike

I dont find any full size USB B breakouts, just micro or mini....
Then get yourself either a raw socket OR a power supply with wire ends.

Im not sure what 0.1uF cermaic capacitor I need because they have always high voltage data.
The voltage is unimportant. But it has to be a ceramic capacitor.

Go Up