Go Down

Topic: Do People Create And Sell Sketches? (Read 6181 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Here's a question: do I need a shield to connect the display to the mega or can I connect it using the cables like I've seen some do on Youtube?

Edit.
And another: would a NodeMCU be a good idea for remote sensors?
First - slow down. Don't keep jumping from one complex issue to another. Deal with them one by one. Otherwise the advice here will become hopelessly confused. And I don't mean that you should start another Thread. I mean you should get a solution to one problem and only then ask the next question about your project.

If you want advice about connecting the display you need to post a link to its datasheet.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Shadeyman

Mar 23, 2016, 07:46 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 08:39 pm by Shadeyman
Sorry, I'll slow down. Just asked about the NodeMCU as I plan to order a few things(hardware) in advance to use later on if they were suitable.

The display is a MD070SD - 7 Inch 800 x 480 TFT Touch LCD Display Module MCU Bus CPLD SDRAM For Arduino AVR STM32 ARM and HERE is the datasheet.

Robin2

The display is a MD070SD - 7 Inch 800 x 480 TFT Touch LCD Display Module MCU Bus CPLD SDRAM For Arduino AVR STM32 ARM
How is that going to work with a Mega?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Shadeyman

Mar 23, 2016, 09:22 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 09:36 pm by Shadeyman
How is that going to work with a Mega?

...R
I've no idea, that's why I asked?

I plan to use the display with an Arduino Due and shield that I ordered this morning but was hoping to practice a little first using a Mega. I'm guessing by your reply your saying I can't. But THIS guy managed it.

Robin2

I'm guessing by your reply your saying I can't. But THIS guy managed it.
I was just reading what you posted.

If someone has done it then s/he is the person to ask.

...R

Shadeyman

Mar 25, 2016, 09:15 am Last Edit: Mar 25, 2016, 09:24 am by Shadeyman
If someone has done it then s/he is the person to ask.

...R
Well obviously few people have already asked him, but he hasn't replied, that's why I asked for help here.

Shadeyman

Arduino Due was delivered yesterday but the wife put in away safely and forgot to tell me until just ..  :smiley-confuse:

The shield for it hasn't turned up yet, guess it will be late next week now because of Easter weekend. My plan is to get 4 or 5 cheap NodeMCU remote sensors talking to the Arduino Due and display the info on the 7 inch screen I brought. Its a huge undertaking for me but I'm guessing a walk in the park for most of you guys.

Your help (nudges in the right direction) will be most welcome ..

Robin2

Sorry. I know nothing about the Due or NodeMCU.

...R

Shadeyman

Sorry. I know nothing about the Due or NodeMCU.

...R
Neither do I ...  :smiley-red:

I guess we have to start somewhere and the bottom is as good a place as any ...  8)

Robin2

Mar 27, 2016, 10:30 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016, 10:30 pm by Robin2
I guess we have to start somewhere and the bottom is as good a place as any ...  8)
You may have to, but I have no immediate interest in the Due or NodeMCU :)   :)

...R

Shadeyman

You may have to, but I have no immediate interest in the Due or NodeMCU :)   :)

...R
When I said "we" I ment it as a general term for those of us that lack the knowledge, not "we" you and I.

nickgammon

I'll move this thread to the Due section for you.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Shadeyman

I'll move this thread to the Due section for you.

Thank you.

Maybe someone there has done something similar and can point me in the right direction.

mrburnette

Mar 28, 2016, 02:59 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2016, 03:06 pm by mrburnette
Ok, I've "jumped the gun" so to speak.
<...>
Do yourself a favor and write your requirements without using terms such as "Arduino", "NodeMCU", "Zigbee" ... what you want to do is explain in writing what must be accomplished.  In this case, the terms battery and wireless are critical; therefore, you must put statements into your writeup that states how long a remote sensor must last before the battery is changed (or, is it solar recharged?)  In the case of wireless, what is the distance?  Distance is important because BLE may be unreliable after 10 meters.

Then do your googling.  If you find something similar, then how similar ... give it a rating, 10% - 90%.  If you find 100%, go get a cold beer and order the device from you web-enable mobile phone.

At this point, you should have some idea of what the market has to offer and a really good idea of what you need done.  You should also know if the project is beyond your ability to construct and program ... most likely it is not.  But you may need help.  If your project is not top-secret, try finding someone at a local maker shop to assist you.  If you do have a top-secret project, you probably need to talk with an attorney to discuss how you need to proceed.  You can try and find some free web non-disclosure documents, but they may not be of the best quality.  Investors care dearly about such things!

<...>
How difficult would it be to have several remote battery powered sensors consisting of an XBee, Arduino Nano plus a sensor of some sort, ultrasonic, 3 axis accelerometer, camera, for example. Transmitting live data to be displayed and stored on a central battery powered device consisting of a 7 inch LCD touchscreen, Arduino Due, XBee and an SD card module?  <...>
What bothers me with the above is the "camera" inclusion and the term "live data."  You may want to lurk around some of the robotic sites as well as those sites that cater drones enabled with video.  These technologies have grown-up recently and are quiet capable and much less expensive than just a few years back.

Ray

Shadeyman

That's the sort of help I need. +1 Karma added, thank you Ray.

There's nothing top-secret about what I'm doing, just helping a friend and educating myself at the same time.

I'm hoping to start by having several battery powered wireless sensors, (nothing fancy, just cheap ones that come in Arduino kits, 3-Axis, Ultrasonic, temp, etc.). With a range of 50m or more (100m would be great), all linked to a battery powered hand held LCD(Touch) that displays the sensor readings. I've seen similar projects, weather stations, alarms, home automation for example. But I'd like to eventually expand on those idea's, perhaps add a camera and motor control later on.

Is the project beyond my ability to construct? Good question, I'm hoping not. I have no experience at all with Arduino or anything even remotely like it. Programming, understanding and writing code, is something I've always considered beyond my ability. As a 50 year old retired builder I guess its not the best time to start but I have some spare time so I'm giving it a go. On the plus side, I do have a little experience with batteries and plan to use 2 x 18650 cells in series(7.4v) to power everything.

I've been Googling, reading bits, trying to understand it. Have to admit, most of it means nothing to me but I read it a few times anyway, hoping something will "click" and make sense, which it occasionally does. As a result I've ordered a few parts I think are appropriate.

Go Up