Sending Data to Serial Port through VB

Hi Robert,
I have been trying your code... but am still getting stuck somewhere... probably because of my experience with VB. I was assuming that I should put the code snippet in between the #Region area (like I had before) and then call the different subs/functions when I activate the boolean toggle. So, the code looked like this when I put it into Grasshopper (see below). The problem is that I'm getting a lot of error messages saying that OpenPort, GetValue, ...etc. are not declared... so the script wont even run. I also had a question about the Class comment you added... saying that I would need to "work it into the grasshopper class". How exactly do I do that? I know it's not an easy question since you are unfamiliar with the program... but I do appreciate your help with all of this.

Sub RunScript(ByVal activate As Boolean)
    If activate Then
      Call OpenPort()
      Call GetValue()
      Call CPort_DataReceived()
      Call HandleComPort()
      print(StoredValue)
    Else
      Call ClosePort()
      print("not receiving data")
    End If
  End Sub

#Region "Additional methods and Type declarations"
  Public Class port

' I wrapped this in a class, but you would need to work it into the grasshopper class

Private WithEvents CPort As IO.Ports.SerialPort      'port with events
    Private TempBuffer As String = String.Empty        'holds the input between events until we get a new line
    Private Delegate Sub HandleComPortDelegate()      'allows com port to run in a background thread without blocking
    Private StoredValue As String = String.Empty      'holds value from port until you call for it

Sub OpenPort()            'called early in the app, before the port is ever needed. This attaches the port, and opens it to listen.
      CPort = New IO.Ports.SerialPort

Try
        CPort = My.Computer.Ports.OpenSerialPort("COM3", 9600)
      Catch ex As Exception
        MessageBox.Show("no port")
      End Try
    End Sub

'this would be better as a property, but I don't know how Grasshopper handles properties
    Function GetValue() As String
      Return StoredValue
    End Function

'this is fired by the port when it has data
    Private Sub CPort_DataReceived(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs) Handles CPort.DataReceived
      Dim HndlComPort As New HandleComPortDelegate(AddressOf HandleComPort)             'declare thread
      HndlComPort.Invoke() ' invoke a new delegate to digest the events

End Sub

Private Sub HandleComPort()      'background handler for com port

TempBuffer &= CPort.ReadExisting  'append into tempbuffer
      If (Strings.Right(TempBuffer, 2) = vbCrLf) Then        'if end of item            'this may need to be changed, since Arduino's println may use cr or lf only. I can't remember at this point.
        StoredValue = TempBuffer               'offload
        TempBuffer = String.Empty               'reset
      End If

End Sub

'should be called when the port is no longer needed.
    Private Sub ClosePort()

If CPort.IsOpen = True Then
        CPort.Close()
      End If
      CPort.Dispose()

End Sub

End Class
#End Region
End Class