Go Down

Topic: Arduino Doorbell Interface SMS/SMTP using Ethernet Shield?  (Read 657 times) previous topic - next topic

jimbrown

Hello,  I am a vb.net programmer I was thinking about buying Arduino with ethernet shield but before I do,  I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully created a doorbell interface? ie doorbell sms notification.  I have seen some youtube samples but they all use a wireless doorbell and 3rd party applications to do the sms.   my doorbell is a typical household wired door bell with a transformer.  my thought was to connect an Arduino to the transformer and if rung send SMS.  If not possible I would not be opposed to have a .net program do the sms if Arduino is unable to.  thoughts?     

.Net code to send an SMS message is simple example below

Private Sub TextMessage(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
         Try
             Dim SmtpServer As New SmtpClient()
             SmtpServer.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential("username@email.com", "password")
             SmtpServer.Port = 25
             SmtpServer.Host = "smtp.server.com"
             SmtpServer.EnableSsl = False
             Using mail As New MailMessage()
                 mail.From = New MailAddress("from@yourserver.com")
                 mail.To.Add("8005550100@txt.att.net")
                 mail.Subject = "SMS Text Message"
                 mail.Body = "Text Message Here ..."
                 SmtpServer.Send(mail)
                 MsgBox("Text Message sent successfully!")
             End Using

Catch ex As Exception
             MsgBox(ex.ToString)
         End Try
     End Sub

Arduino solutions:

http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/2064/how-to-doorbell-automation-hack

or

http://lowpowerlab.com/blog/2015/04/13/doorbell-moteino/

jb

SurferTim

If the SMS or email is sent on the test, it shouldn't be a problem. That is the caveat on most applications. The ethernet shield can't provide the secure connection to send emails or SMS messages in some systems.

jimbrown

If the SMS or email is sent on the test, it shouldn't be a problem. That is the caveat on most applications. The ethernet shield can't provide the secure connection to send emails or SMS messages in some systems.
SurferTim,  thanks for the reply.  I don't understand "on the test"  do you have an example? 

Ethernet shield can't provide secure connection?  it's as secure as the network your on correct? 

Go Up