Go Down

Topic: Bootloading ATMEGA328P-PU with Optiloader (Read 4888 times) previous topic - next topic

MalharD

No, you don't need to change anything in avrdude.conf.
I suspect that the chip or the crystal is faulty.
Murphy always gets me ...

NickyG

No worries I'll change out the crystal and I've contacted the buyer for instructions. A mate has my multimeter at the moment but I'll check the circuit again with that.

Budvar10

Given these chips are ATMEGA328P-PU's do I need to change the avrdude.config file or is that just for the ATMEGA328P
PU means only package type DIL (AU, PU, MUR). It is ATmega328P. Do not change config file.
You definitely need 22p caps from XTALs to GND. Switch on detailed log in IDE preferences. Check your wiring. It seems to be badly connected something, broken wire etc. Also, you can check the clock signal if it is present, simply with the DMM. The voltage about 2.5V DC on XTAL1 pin indicates that it is oscillating.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

MalharD

You definitely need 22p caps from XTALs to GN
I have 5 boards which do not work when 22p caps are connectd. However, everyone says those are necessary.

Budvar10

Hmm, I have no such experience. For me, it works exactly as is described in the datasheet. Capacitance depends on the crystal properties but the value is not critical, something between 12-22pF. However, I can imagine that it works without the capacitors. I've built many of these Arduino clone with ATmega1284P and similar, always with the capacitors.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

chucktodd

Apr 11, 2016, 10:00 pm Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 10:01 pm by chucktodd
Ok everything has been connecting except the 100uf capacitor, I dont have any at the moment (awaiting to arrive). All i got is a few 10uf.

The Mega is powered through the USB serial. Correct me if im wrong.

Grd is there to pin 8 (far right white wire)

Current error
Code: [Select]
avrdude: Device signature = 0xff7fff
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

THE PROBLEM IS WITH YOUR BREAD BOARD!

You have Power and Ground (RED and BLACK jumper connected to the the RED and BLUE busses on the top of the Bread board.  Do you SEE the RED and BLUE stripes?  DO you SEE the VOID (at pin 30) in the RED and BLUE STRIPES?  

Those stripes mark were the pins are connected.  The VOID marks were EACH buss STOPS  THERE are FOUR BLUE busses, FOUR RED busses.  NOT TWO of each.

Either put jumpers over the VOIDS or only connect to the Same segment.

Chuck.
Currently built mega http server, Now converting it to ESP32.

pegwatcher

Wow, good catch. I've never seen a board with split rails like that one.
I wonder how many people have been driven to the brink of insanity by those boards?
I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

dmjlambert

Or driven to the brink of getting out a multimeter and checking continuity of every connection.  I have seen those breadboards before.   They are handy for multiple/flexible busses.   Sharp eye, Chuck.

chucktodd

Wow, good catch. I've never seen a board with split rails like that one.
I wonder how many people have been driven to the brink of insanity by those boards?
I speak from personal experience.  I have been caught by that problem.  It really, Really Sucks!

Chuck.
Currently built mega http server, Now converting it to ESP32.

MalharD

THE PROBLEM IS WITH YOUR BREAD BOARD!

You have Power and Ground (RED and BLACK jumper connected to the the RED and BLUE busses on the top of the Bread board.  Do you SEE the RED and BLUE stripes?  DO you SEE the VOID (at pin 30) in the RED and BLUE STRIPES? 

Those stripes mark were the pins are connected.  The VOID marks were EACH buss STOPS  THERE are FOUR BLUE busses, FOUR RED busses.  NOT TWO of each.

Either put jumpers over the VOIDS or only connect to the Same segment.

Chuck.
I misssed it. I have bridged the voids on the day I got the boards and never worried about it,hence,I forgot about it. Last week, I boughe 2 new boards and installed jumpers permenantly.

:palm:

-Malhar

NickyG

Apr 12, 2016, 12:50 pm Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016, 01:26 pm by NickyG
PU means only package type DIL (AU, PU, MUR). It is ATmega328P. Do not change config file.
You definitely need 22p caps from XTALs to GND. Switch on detailed log in IDE preferences. Check your wiring. It seems to be badly connected something, broken wire etc. Also, you can check the clock signal if it is present, simply with the DMM. The voltage about 2.5V DC on XTAL1 pin indicates that it is oscillating.

Alright so reading from 5v to xtal1 get a volt reading of 1.45v. Although that 2.5v you mention is that across the crystal I.e from xtal1 to the capacitor.

Checked all the wires to ensure they werent broken and they are all good did it with an LED and also on the DMM (Why on both, well just to be sure). Also fixed up the wiring issue with the buss' cheers for that. Still no luck.

Same error, even picked up a 100microfarad capacitor and hooked in on as per this link. I'm about to run a continuity test over the entire breadboard.

I'm starting to think this is going to be a wood from the trees result :S

Here is the setup at the moment.

Don't worry about the extra LED's and the other microcontroller off to the right

MalharD

Apr 12, 2016, 01:25 pm Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016, 01:28 pm by MalharD
Check the voltage at pin 7 of the 328p....

Do you SEE "30" near the top rails ?? Its where the rails are not connected. let me attach an image.
See those ed and green wires in drawings ???
You have to place wires there.

MalharD

NickyG

Apr 12, 2016, 01:53 pm Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016, 02:03 pm by NickyG
Another IMAGE
Do i need connections across there if i got nothing going to those buss' the other microcontroller and jumpers to the right are just left overs from another job.

Voltage on from pin 7 on the 328p to GRD is 5v

MalharD

Try it, most of the breadboards do not have connections there. You have to connect it. That has nothing to do with the another microcontroller. Remove the connections to the other micro or power the arduino from external source.
-Malhar

Go Up