Add new board without Board Manager on IDE 1.6.8

Hi all
I'm working in a Company lap top with a lot of security. So, my arduino board Manager isn't able to download new board descriptions from the Internet.
Is there a Workaround to get the new boards (for example the Adafruit HUZZAH with ESP8266) into the IDE? Manually I'm able to download the files. But I don't know where to store and how to ask the IDE to use it.
Any support is very appreciated.
Werner

The easiest way to do this is to install the new boards on a computer using the same operating system that is on a non-restricted network and then copy the files over to your company laptop. If that is possible for you let me know and I'll tell you the steps required. If that is not possible then you can manually install the files you have downloaded but you will have to create some folder structures that Boards Manager does automatically so it is a bit more complex of a process but I can help you with that also.

Thanks for this hint. I could manage to install the new boards on another win7 computer without any proxy restriction. But this system has installed the new file in another folder on the user area. so, I have now two folders and need to nix them up in the right way (I guess).
Is there somewhere a description how IDE is using files and folders, or even a way to controll this?

WStaub:
Is there somewhere a description how IDE is using files and folders

Boards Manager installs hardware packages to C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages by default.

WStaub:
or even a way to controll this?

If you create a folder named portable inside the Arduino IDE installation folder and restart the IDE then Boards Manager will install hardware packages to {Arduino IDE installation folder}\portable\packages instead. That's as much control as you get.

WStaub:
I have now two folders and need to nix them up in the right way (I guess).

I'm assuming to install the Adafruit HUZZAH with ESP8266 you're using the http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json Boards Manager URL. So to copy that package over to your work laptop you should do the following:

You would follow a similar process with any other hardware packages you want to install. Let me know how it goes. Per

Thanks for that. But, unfortunately, it still doesn't work.
I created a folder “portable” on the same level than “Arduino.exe” is located.
I copied the file “package_esp8266com_index.json” into this folder
I copied the whole folder esp8266 from the packages into this folder.
I also add the url into the “Additional board managers url”-field in the preferences.
--- status ---
I can’t see the new board in the board manager
So, I opened the “board manager” in tools and tried to install the “ESP8266” board. As a package, it’s visible in the “board manager”. But, it couldn’t download the files (because of the proxy – I know). But, it did a lot in the packages folder. There are now more files and folders.
--- Result ---
The ESP-board are still not visible in the board list. Guess, I did something wrong.
--- Next ---
I will do the installation again on the private PC. If board manager installs the data in the “portable” folder, I can copy all together to the company PC and try to use it.
I will tell you, if it works.
Thanks
Werner

Did you copy the esp8266 folder to {arduino installation folder}\portable\packages?

Just done it and - Great: Now it works. That was the last bit.
Many thanks Werner

I had to follow the same steps for the same reason: Very heavy IT security and no means to manually install.

Arduino IDE: 1.8.1
ESP8266 Board Manager: 2.3.0

Installation Method: Normal (not portable)

Clean install on corporate machine. Install ESP8266 Board Manager. Failed: Could not download zip, SSL error.
Clean install on non-corporate machine. Install ESP8266 Board Manager. Success.
Copy \Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15 to usb stick on non-corporate machine
Insert usb stick on corporate machine and do a virus scan just to be sure.
Copy Arduino15 to \Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15
Start it up. There was a minor one-time warning. All is good.

Note that parts of the file path are hidden so you have to type it in rather than navigate folder-by-folder.

I have a custom board with two ATmega uP.
I would like to add the two processors to the IDE 1.8.2

This board at this time is NOT for the public ..
We just want to be able to use the IDE for the development of code .

I saw several examples of adding boards but they did not work since it looks like We need to submit **.JSON file(s) . ( I edited the boards.txt file and other files with new info ..
yet the new "board" does not show in the IDE.

Is there a simple document showing step by step how to create / edit the JSON file for a new board?
and also How does that gets into the installed IDE ?

{ do we have to re-install the IDE after creating the JSOn file ?

I have never used the .JSON tool ...

I am looking for a quick and dirty solution ..

Help anyone ?

thx

It's not required to install hardware packages via Boards Manager. That's just a way to make installation easier for the users. For development and testing I recommend doing a manual hardware package installation instead. You can do this by copying the package to the {sketchbook folder}/hardware folder (if the hardware folder doesn't exist then create it. You can find the location of the sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. Restart the Arduino IDE if it's running and the boards should now appear in the Tools > Board menu.

Let's say your hardware package vendor name is zvipesh, I know the architecture is AVR because you said they are ATmegas. The folder structure should look like this:

{sketchbook folder}
|_hardware
|_zvipesh
|_avr
|_boards.txt

Note that this folder structure differs from what you will find with the hardware packages installed via Boards Manager in that there is no version folder.

pert:
It's not required to install hardware packages via Boards Manager. That's just a way to make installation easier for the users. For development and testing I recommend doing a manual hardware package installation instead. You can do this by copying the package to the {sketchbook folder}/hardware folder (if the hardware folder doesn't exist then create it. You can find the location of the sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. Restart the Arduino IDE if it's running and the boards should now appear in the Tools > Board menu.

Let's say your hardware package vendor name is zvipesh, I know the architecture is AVR because you said they are ATmegas. The folder structure should look like this:

{sketchbook folder}
|_hardware
|_zvipesh
|_avr
|_boards.txt

Note that this folder structure differs from what you will find with the hardware packages installed via Boards Manager in that there is no version folder.

Hey, I have a similar problem as stated above and I tried following the steps in the above thread but couldn't get it working.

So, I downloaded the esp8266 package from the URL that is shown when I try installing via the boards manager. If you guide me through the next steps?
I pasted the json file path into the preferences tab too.

Thank you in advance

The esp8266 core has some instructions for installing without Boards Manager:

If you can't install on another computer with Boards Manager and copy the package over to your computer that might be the easiest option. It's more geared towards beta testing but you could always checkout the 2.3.0 release of the cloned repo if you didn't want to deal with the core in a pre-release form.

pert:
The esp8266 core has some instructions for installing without Boards Manager:
GitHub - esp8266/Arduino: ESP8266 core for Arduino
If you can't install on another computer with Boards Manager and copy the package over to your computer that might be the easiest option. It's more geared towards beta testing but you could always checkout the 2.3.0 release of the cloned repo if you didn't want to deal with the core in a pre-release form.

It says I need to something using Python. I don't have python. And, yes, I wont be able to copy the package over from my personal laptop to the work laptop.

I tried copying the files into a folder named portable in the place where Arduino is installed, but some of the other libraries I had installed in C:\Users\abhilash.r\Documents\Arduino\libraries disappeared from my IDE. Of what I understood from above, I could copy the esp8266 files I download from the URL mentioned in the boards manager and a few more steps and I could get this working. I am not clear on those steps. Please excuse me for what may be a easy thing to do.

I just made a hardware map and put it in the Arduino map at documents, worked fine for me /Documents/Arduino/hardware/

Works for the nano 33 iot as well. I made the portable folder and the boards manager automatically installed the packages there. thanks Pert!

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy!
Per