Go Down

Topic: Problem using the arduino mega with the NRF24L01 (Read 201 times) previous topic - next topic

ArcanamTredecim

Jul 03, 2019, 04:27 pm Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:34 pm by ArcanamTredecim
Hello everyone !

I'm considered new to all this so please bear with me.

I recently bought 10 arduino mega boards and 10 arduino uno for a project.

I'm using the NRF24L01 on both the mega and uno to communicate with each other.

All the arduino uno's work by sending a signal but some of the mega boards (5 boards) didn't not receive the signal while the others received everything without any problems.

I'm positive that the problem isn't in the code as all the mega's are programmed identically to each other and some of them receive a signal and some don't (5 receive and 5 don't).

I've done some research and found that the problem might be the voltage, and found out that the solution is either to get a base piece to regulate the voltage for the NRF24L01 or to solder a capacitor to the vcc and ground of the NRF24L01. I've tried both solutions to bo avail.

I triple checked the wiring and made sure everything is identical to those mega boards that worked. I'm supplying power to the mega through my laptops usb port because I need the received signal of the mega to be used in my laptop.

The NRF24L01 is connected from pins 48-52 and I have a serial module connected to the same mega board, you can find the schematic attached. The TXD jumper from the serial port is connected to pin 18, not 16 as shown in the schematic.

I really appreciate any help in this matter, as this has taken me a week and I still haven't solved the problem, thank you all in advance.

BJHenry

How are you powering the NRF24L01 module? A common issue is that the 3.3V regulator on the Arduino can't supply enough current. The easiest way to check this is to try powering the NRF module with 2 AA batteries- don't forget to connect the battery ground to the Arduino ground.

ArcanamTredecim

How are you powering the NRF24L01 module? A common issue is that the 3.3V regulator on the Arduino can't supply enough current. The easiest way to check this is to try powering the NRF module with 2 AA batteries- don't forget to connect the battery ground to the Arduino ground.
Sorry for not updating the schematic. I'm using the 5v and GND pins on the arduino mega connected to a base regulator module for the NRF > http://www.yourduino.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=467

I even tried to solder a 10 uF electrolytic capacitor to the NRF but didn't receive any signal on the malfunctioning boards.

ArcanamTredecim

Quick update, I've also tried different NRF modules and got the same results.

Robin2

Try the connection test program in this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

If you have a suitable power supply I suspect the most likely problem is incorrect connections - that is usually the problem when my nRF24s don't work.

Also try the first program in my link - with proper connections both the Tx and Rx work on my Mega.

If you have doubts about the power supply try powering the nRF24 from a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ArcanamTredecim

Thanks for the reply! I will update you when I try your solution. Although how can I check if the mega is receiving a signal without the serial monitor because the tx and rx lights are not blinking on the board. And why is it that some of the boards work and the rest don't? Could it be a manufacturing problem with the mega?

Robin2

Although how can I check if the mega is receiving a signal without the serial monitor because the tx and rx lights are not blinking on the board.
I don't understand. If you are not using the serial monitor why would the lights be blinking?

And why not use the serial monitor?

If you want more help you need to post your programs (Tx and Rx) so we can see exactly what you are talking about. But first, make sure things work with my simple example programs. It will be much easier to help with code that is familiar.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up