Go Down

Topic: 8 x 8 RGB Matrix with Max/Msp (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Mattibhoy

Mar 11, 2010, 12:49 am Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 12:49 am by Mattibhoy Reason: 1
Hi there, As a noob to Arduino I was wondering if some one can aid me with a problem I am having. I am doing a college project which involves making a 8 x 8 RGB LED matrix with 74HC595 chips. I am using this schematic which I found on the web.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4m0f5w6KA1bAIHIswXBFcg?feat=embedwebsite

The main problem that I face is that I want to control this matrix with the use of Max/Msp. Max will send data via serial to the Arduino and then it will effect the colours of the LEDs. How do I go about coding this. Another problem I face is how to get more powerful LEDs working with this system. Would I be correct to assume that I could not get bright LEDs to work with that circuit drawing?

PaulS

Max will send data via serial to the Arduino and then it will effect the colours of the LEDs. How do I go about coding this.

You need to define a protocol, which is a set of commands that Max knows how to send and the Arduino knows how to perform. You might have a command like "SetColor row col red grn blu!" that Max would send to set the LED in some row and some column to some color value defined by the three values.

The Arduino code would then read the serial data, storing it in an array, until the ! (or whatever end-of-command marker you like) is received. Then, parse the command string to figure out what to do.

You could simplify this, and send C followed by 5 byte-sized values, instead of a string that needs to be parsed.

If you want to get really creative, the 8x8 LED matrix could show text in a moving marque fashion. In that case, you might want to send the text, and let the Arduino figure out what LEDs to light.

Or, you might want Max to send data for a single column, and light up the LEDs in that column based on the bit setting in the byte sent.

Since there are many things you might want to do, and Max and Arduino both need to understand what can be done, and how to communicate what needs to be done, defining the protocol first is key to defining what data is to be sent, and how that data is to be read, parsed, and used.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Mattibhoy

Thank you Paul. I will try that out.

zooto68

Try out the examples in my book - http://www.earthshinedesign.co.uk/ASKManual/Site/ASKManual.html

Mattibhoy

Mike you are officially my legend of the week. Thank you very much

Go Up