Go Down

Topic: Anybody know a hackable fire sensor? (Read 2436 times) previous topic - next topic

MorganS

I've got a requirement to put a fire sensor in an enclosed space. (About 1m3.) I've already got 3 Arduinos in the space, so obviously I thought of connecting it to an Arduino and having the fire alarm go through my Arduino network.

Other than one instructable showing an MQ2 sensor - which is not a flame or smoke sensor - I'm not finding anything related to Arduino. Domestic type smoke alarms don't seem to have a simple digital output I can use. Other stuff seems to always be part of a building alarm system and uses a proprietary protocol to talk to the fire panel. :(

What sensors are there out there for flame/smoke/heat, like a domestic alarm, which has a 5V or 12V output? I'll even take a serial output if the protocol is available. It also has to run on 5V or 12V (no mains power.)
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

larryd

Apr 19, 2016, 06:12 am Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 06:15 am by LarryD
1 cubic meter, what is this?

Do you want to detect: flame, smoke or heat?
Maybe all you need is an IR or a simple temperature sensor.

Flame sensor

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

npkamen

There isn't really any such thing as a fire sensor.

Usually you detect smoke or heat (or both) to activate a fire alarm.

What do you want to do with it?

JimboZA

Apr 19, 2016, 07:31 am Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 07:36 am by JimboZA
There isn't really any such thing as a fire sensor.
There are sensors which can recognise flame. My son was telling me about them when he was doing his IFE studies. But I have no idea if they're readily available: might still be in the research phases.

edit.... son's looking for a reference

Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

JimboZA

PM'd you with some stuff my son found. Bit long to post here.

HTH....
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

Riva

Could you just connect wires from a smoke detector buzzer output to the arduino (observing voltage limitations for arduino pins)
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

MorganS

I was hoping for something a bit more robust than jumpering the buzzer. A domestic alarm is also kind of large.

Thanks Jimbo, I'll check out your suggestion.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Go Up