Go Down

Topic: testing the VS1003/VS1053 MP3 Decoder Board (Read 8355 times) previous topic - next topic

ms2000

Hello, i am new to arduino stuff,
i bought this board this is the EXACT model:

BOARD IMAGE

from china and i cannot even figure out if it will output ANYTHING,
my original application is to use it as an 
INTERNET RADIO STREAMER but at this point i would be happy to even hear a BIP sound as an output
dont even know which P.L connector is line out and or line in.

i dug up the forum and the googled many combinations but seems that i cannot find a simple thing,
a woking SIMPLE SKETCH, that will test the MP3 output of this module, and confirm that the board is working or defective, ALONG with a proper PIN connection diagram for arduino UNO

i have several concerns,
does this board require any protection on its input/output pins?
can it be damaged by being connected to PIN13 > SCLCK and accidentally runing an old "flash the LED" program that outputs "full power" on this pin?

THANX FOR ALL HELPERS.

i think arduino is a very useful tool when it comes to some kind of automation,
wish things would be more clear on the manufacturers side...

ms2000

can anyone please help and write a simple sketch that will output a signal to this board along with the proper pin connections?

thanx in advance for the expert that helps!

zoomx

I didn'own such board but I find this library
https://github.com/andykarpov/VS1003
wich example has an mp3 embedded.
The there is that page also
http://www.electrodragon.com/w/VS1003_(1053)_MP3_Dev._Module
with connectiona and one example but I don't know if the board is the same. The pin names must be identical anyway.

ms2000

May 14, 2016, 12:26 am Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:33 am by ms2000
Thanx, unfortunately BOTH tests did not work for this mp3 board,

i managed to get in to the code a bit and resolved a minor bug,
the chip did not switch to MP3 "mode" so there was no output.

now the internet radio works great,
its a good and cheap project solution for elders or the kitchen.
total costs were around 12$-15$

if anyone will need help with the same project write below,

assaggaf

ms2000,

A help with his would be much appreciated. I just got my board and trying to make my way through connecting it to Arduino.

I don't have the exact board as yours but very close. I can't find the link I bought it from but its the same as this: https://www.openimpulse.com/blog/products-page/product-category/vs1003-mp3wmamidi-audio-codec-board-microphone/

My project is a bet different then yours. I want to build a device that plays 3 specific mp3 files based on which button you click. But getting started with controlling the sound up would just be great.

Thanks!

jhoye

I bought two of these type of boards way back in 2013 and never managed to get them working despite trying all the libraries and source code that I could find at the time.

After a long break I decided to pick them up again and managed to get as far as some drums and instruments via the MIDI part of the chip. Buoyed with that success I tried for MP3s and spent several days on and off trying most of the various libraries again, convinced I would stumble upon the magic combination.

It was this post http://www.bajdi.com/lcsoft-vs1053-mp3-module/ that finally gave me success. Initially I shorted the two pins with the end of a jumper wire held against them and I suddenly had music.

Further reading in that post there is a section that shows how to change the mode of the chip after boot rather than shorting the two pins (I do not have a small enough bit to solder the two pins for a permanent solution) so I inserted the appropriate code into the initialisation/startup function (I did it in both Adafruit and SparkFun libraries) and AT LAST... MUSIC :)

Although I got my VS1053 working by lodging a piece of wire between pins 33 & 34, I did not think my soldering skills were adequate for making it a permanent solution. Fortunately it turns out there is another solution.

On the VLSI website someone has asked if there is way to exit midi mode. Appraently it is possible to initiate a software re-boot and over-ride the state of pin 34. This is the method described:

"You can detect RTMIDI mode after hardware/software reset by checking AUDATA. If you see 44100/44101, RTMIDI has been activated, and you can write GPIO_DDR=3 and GPIO_ODATA=0, then give software reset to boot into normal decoding mode."

I have tried it & it works. For information the address of GPIO_DDR is 0xC017 and the address of GPIO_ODATA is 0xC019.
My project is to build a module that connects to a PA system and is controlled via HTTP requests so that I can make automated announcements for train departures.

Go Up