Go Down

Topic: Windows 10 and CH340 (Read 224733 times) previous topic - next topic

septillion

Or you just install the drivers from the manufacturer like suggested here a million times ;)
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

pschnitter

I just installed the CHG340 Serial Driver on Windows 10 x64. I had much the same results as you. Every time I tried to install, the install program would respond with an unsuccessful installation message. However, after further research, I checked the  setupapi.dev.log file in the windows/inf folder and found that the driver had installed correctly. Device Manager verified that the serial port was working when I plugged in my Arduino Nano clone. Apparently, the install program is giving a false error message!

ballscrewbob

@pschnitter

Reported failures are quite often related to user privileges or driver enforcement issues or third party security software.

The same fixes for these are mentioned in countless posts all over the different sections of the forums.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

robholtman

I didn't read all that was already written about USB errors connecting clones. But I did see a lot about it on the Internet and followed a lot of the suggestions, although they didn't work with me. So maybe my story already has been experienced and told by someone else.

I just began with Arduino 2 month ago as a retirement hobby and bought me a starter set with a Uno (clone). That all functioned well on my Win 10 64 bit PC. Than I started to buy lots of things with Ebay and Aliexpress. Also a Mega clone. This Mega clone used the same CH340 USB chip. But when I connected it Windows showed the not recognized message. I than tried it on a few other pc's with Linux, Win 10 32 bit and Win 8.1. On the Linux it was not recognized too but on the other two no problem.

To make a long story short; after I tried everything and nothing worked. Than I suddenly thought of something not logically but I tried it anyway. I simply put a usb hub between the usb cable that connects my Mega board. And don't ask me why but without any problem the board is being recognized. I tried the same with the Linux machine but that didn't work out. But at least it does for my Win 10 64 machine.

Maybe somebody knows the answer but the most important thing is that it works. I used several different sorts of USB hubs and they all worked.

I just wanted to share this information for those who may encounter a similar problem.

ballscrewbob

@robholtman

See reply 11 and 20.

Pays to read  !

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

robholtman

Thanks for the reply. I think its somewhat the same. But with me the UNO works fine and also the tiny works fine. But only the Mega doesn't or I have to put the hub in between. I wondered about this because the uno and the mega both use the same CH340.

(But you're right, it pays to read ;-) )

ballscrewbob

Its exactly the same and quite often it is USB 3.0 that is the root cause.

It is pretty well documented both in here and on github and a few other DEV type places.

A USB 2.0 hub acts as a sort of throttle control and even in some cases current load leveller.

USB 3.0 is quite hit and miss with Arduinos and has been mentioned to Arduino themselves as needing urgent attention as more high speed ports become the norm.

robholtman

Okay I will read some more about it, here it is the first time I see something written about it. But it didn't matter whether I used the USB 2.0 or 3.0. They both didn't work. And as far as I know they are separated from each other. Or do I miss something?

ballscrewbob

Sometimes there is are a couple of DRIVER links to the issue between USB 2.0 and 3.0.

One was a Microsoft problem some time ago but I was not affected by it and the answer was to roll back a high speed driver.

Another was USB chipset specific and the answer to that was to actually remove that driver and let the Microsoft one take over.

I cannot remember the actual  details of the cases but I do believe both were mentioned in the forum and out in the wild.

I dont do Linux so I cannot help with that side of things but I think (dont quote me) that it was a root permissions or distro specific issue.

szjenter

johnnycanuck

Here's a scenario:

Have got the Arduino IDE 1.6.12 with the CH340 drivers installed and working on my Windowss 10 desktop with my clone Nano's. Works like a charm.

Then there's my laptops (ASUS M50VM-A1 and MSI GX640), where I get get "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" when trying to upload the sketch to the Nano.

Laptop1: Previous install of Windows 10 1809, downloaded/installed CH340 drivers from the Chinese manufacturer, downloaded and installed Arduino IDE 1.8.8 and then rebooted and ran the IDE.

Laptop1: Grabbed a blank hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 1809 on the new drive, . . . (same install process).

Laptop2: A previous install of Windows 10 1809, . . . (same install process).

Plugged in a Nano on all 3 machines and device manager reports the CH340 as showing up under the Com ports every time. In the IDE, I selected the correct com port, as well as the Nano board (have been doing this for years on my desktop).

I can program the Nano on my desktop, but NOT on either laptop, I get stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding. Again, these Nano's can be programmed on my desktop, so I know the bootloader is fine.

Tried more than 1 Nano, tried more than 1 cable as well as USB port on the laptops and with consistent results. Works on desktop, but not either laptop.

Note: I use CH340 drivers from the manufacturer web site at http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html

DrAzzy

Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 pm Last Edit: Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 pm by DrAzzy
@johnnycanuck - Choose the Old Bootloader option from the tools -> processor menu after selecting the board. The new IDE versions by default assume you're using a nano with the "new bootloader" (which is present on official nano's since the beginning of the year), unless you tell it otherwise. But clones almost universally still come with the "old bootloader".
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

jonbuford

I was having the same issue discussed here but found my solution was not with drivers or a USB 2.0 hub. I was attempting to flash it after hooking it up to my board. What I found is if the RX and TX pins were connected, the flashing would fail for larger programs, but it would work for small Blinky type programs. Once I disconnected the RX and TX, the problem went away.

DrAzzy

I was having the same issue discussed here but found my solution was not with drivers or a USB 2.0 hub. I was attempting to flash it after hooking it up to my board. What I found is if the RX and TX pins were connected, the flashing would fail for larger programs, but it would work for small Blinky type programs. Once I disconnected the RX and TX, the problem went away.
This is true for any arduino programmed over serial - you can't have anything that might interfere connected to those pins, since they're also used to program it.

Also, anyone who suggests a driver issue or using a USB 2.0 hub when the error you get is a sync error doesn't know what they're talking about. If you get to the point of getting a sync error, the drivers are fine and it's not a weird USB problem!
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

johnnycanuck

@johnnycanuck - Choose the Old Bootloader option from the tools -> processor menu after selecting the board. The new IDE versions by default assume you're using a nano with the "new bootloader" (which is present on official nano's since the beginning of the year), unless you tell it otherwise. But clones almost universally still come with the "old bootloader".
Thanks. Turned out that was the issue with the newer IDE. Didn't help that I had one faulty cable as well as a faulty Nano in the mix, which made troubleshooting much more challenging.

Go Up