UNO to 8 relay board issue

I am new to the Arduino environment. I have worked through blink and would now like to move on to a 8 relay board that requires 12 volts to power the relays. I am trying to get 1 relay actuating at a time to verify the hardware is working before changing code to run all 8 relays, so I am still running the blink code and moving the pin 13 jumper from pin 1-8 on the relay board one at a time to check. The led for each relay lights up but no sound of the relay being activated is being heard.The following is my current jumper set up:

In one corner of the relay board are 3 pins GND, VCC, and JD-VCC. (Jumper is removed.)
GND connects to - on battery.
JD-VCC connects to + on battery.
VCC is not used.

About in the middle of the relay board near an edge are GND, IN1-8, and VCC.
GND connects to GND on Arduino.
Pin 13 on Arduino connects to 1 of the in relay pins.
5v on Arduino connects to VCC on relay board.

This is the relay board I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231583189489?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am powering the Arduino with a 9 volt wall wart. The 12 volt battery for the relay board is showing to be fully charged. Thanks for any help somebody out there in the community might be able to give.

You may not need the jumper from Arduino GND to relay board, disconnect it and try this:
Connect the 12V supply to the board, + to JD-VCC (jumper removed) - to gnd, Arduino 5V pin to board VCC (on left side), connect a jumper wire to Arduino GND and use the free end to "brush" each "IN" pin and see if the relays pick up. If that works use "inverse logic" ( make the Arduino output pin LOW to energize the relay, HIGH to switch off.)

I got nothing using the method you suggested, but thanks for trying.

Upon further working with my set up I have noticed that no relay makes any noise at all except for number 8. I did not hear it before because the noise is so faint, not the normal fairly loud click of a relay being activated. Checking the output of the number 8 relay with a meter shows no activation. Also the jumper from the 5v on the Arduino to VCC on the relay board has no effect on the signaling as it is now.

Still looking for help.

Hi,
When I used a simular relay board, I discovered that it was active LOW, so instead of the normal HIGH to activate the relay, it needed a low, bare in mind these have opto coupled inputs and driver FEts/Tranies, etc. That can invert the input/control, etc.

Hope it helps

Mel.

From the datasheet, the pull-in voltage is 75% of 12V = 9V. You need to use a 12V power supply instead of your 9V wall wart.

Here's the correct way to wire it up c/w sample code (the separate supply should be 12V).

Altered wiring and code to your sample provided in the link. All led's light as per code but still no tripping of the relays, and this only happens with a ground to ground between both boards. It does nothing without the ground in place. I am now running a 12v 1000ma wal wart for the arduino.

Still need help.

Also, at this point adding or removing the arduino 5v to relay board vcc has nor effect. It lights the leds with or without it.

I know this is probably a silly question, but did you get any documentation with the board and can you post a copy?

This is all I got after requesting information from the seller.

8 Channels 5V Relay Module Schematics.pdf (346 KB)

The schematic shows the board's LEDs installed reversed, however I don't believe this is the case as your able to get them to illuminate. It also shows a 12 pin strip with 10 inputs, but its only an 8-relay module, so this is the wrong schematic.

Here's a simple manual test to see if the relays are operational (no software sketch required):

• Connect your separate 12V power supply to the JD-VCC and GND terminal on the 3-pin strip (jumper removed)
  • Connect only the VCC from the Arduino to the 10-pin strip's VCC pin. No LEDs should illuminate.
  • Take a jumper wire from Arduino's GND (NOT the separate power supply GND) and touch IN1 pin.
    Only one LED should illuminate (L1) and you should hear a click sound.
  • Repeat for IN2-IN8 to verify operation of each relay and LED.
    Does it work??

Oh gosh ... just noticed that the link mentions "High Trigger" which is a new version that I haven't seen yet for these 8 Relay Modules. They may have crippled the isolation mode in this version.

Here's a new manual test using "High Trigger" to see if the relays are operational (no software sketch required):

• Connect your separate 12V power supply to the JD-VCC and GND terminal on the 3-pin strip (jumper removed)
  • Connect only the GND from the Arduino to the 10-pin strip's GND pin. No LEDs should illuminate.
  • Take a jumper wire from Arduino's VCC 5V (NOT the separate power supply JD-VCC) and touch IN1 pin.
    Only one LED should illuminate (L1) and you should hear a click sound.
  • Repeat for IN2-IN8 to verify operation of each relay and LED.

Does it work??

Code to test "High Trigger" type board:

// 8 Relay Module configured for "High Trigger" type boards
// Arduino UNO pins 3 to 10 connected to IN1 to IN8.

void setup() {
  for (int i = 3; i <= 10; i++) {
    pinMode(i, OUTPUT); // defaults LOW (all relays off)
  }
}

void loop() {
    digitalWrite(i, HIGH); // energize relays until all on
    delay(1000);
  }
    digitalWrite(i, LOW); // de-energize relays until all off
    delay(1000);
  }
}