Go Down

Topic: avrdude: no programmer has been specified (Read 29594 times) previous topic - next topic

xy64

Hi,

I use chinese clone of Arduino UNO rev3
on OSX El Capitan

It worked fine so far.

I'm trying to upload scatch to my Arduino but I always get this messege:

"avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again"

I can see that Arduino is working well as the last code I successfully uploaded was I2C scanner and I can see it's output in serial monitor.

I tried to upload .hex with HexUploader, but it says that device is busy.

I googled it and cannot find any reference of this error.

Any idea?

DrAzzy

See this thread - http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=399755.0

It's an ide bug in 1.6.8 (may also depend on boards definition version, not sure) use a different ide version - 1.6.5r5 or 1.6.9
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

xy64

Thx for response.

Well, upgrade to 1.6.9 gave me different error message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x18
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x66
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x66
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x06
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x98
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf8
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x06

downgrade to 1.6.6 gave me this:

avr-g++: error: missing filename after '-o'
exit status 1
Error compiling.

downgrade gave me the same error I had with 1.6.8

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

Some of these errors apear even when I try to upload the code with board not connected to USB so I guess it's the matter of some IDE setting :/

drtex

May 17, 2016, 08:51 pm Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:02 am by drtex
I ran into the exact same problem.  Errors from 1.6.9 down to 1.6.5.  I am using the Chinese clone device on El Capitan as well.

I tried the directions from pert at http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=366573.90
========
The problem is caused by using Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.10 with Arduino IDE 1.6.6, they are incompatible. The options to fix this are:
Use Arduino IDE 1.6.7 or 1.6.8
Install Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.8(due to a bug you can't go back to using 1.6.9) by: Tools > Board > Boards Manager... > Arduino AVR Boards(click on it) > Select version > 1.6.8 > Install.
Install Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.9 and then reinstall Arduino IDE 1.6.6, this will get around the bug linked in option #2.

With option #2 or #3 you will continue to get updatable notifications about the more recent Arduino AVR Boards version so you might want to File > Preferences > Check for updates on startup(uncheck) to disable this notification.
=====

At first I thought the instructions did not work, but as it turns out, it instead appears like some combination of changes bricked my Arduino Nano.  Luckily, I have another and that one will upload sketches successfully using IDE 1.6.9 and 1.6.8 boards although this results in WARNINGS: Category '' in library {EEPROM,SPI,SoftwareSerial,Wire} because the old core being used.

babyone

I found the same problem with IDE version 1.6.8. My fix is to change the Board Manager -> Arduino AVR Boards version => 1.6.10

JacobChrist

Jun 09, 2016, 06:30 pm Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 12:33 am by JacobChrist
One of my students had this same problem and was using Arduino AVR Board version 1.6.11 (Arduino IDE 1.6.7). Downgrading to 1.6.10 resolved the issue for him.

Jacob

AYARRIQUITUKIS

that's right, I also had this problem and solve it like doing a downgrade to manager boards, attached images.

Brener

that's right, I also had this problem and solve it like doing a downgrade to manager boards, attached images.

Thank you so much, I do it and now it's OK!

mowgli88

Aug 08, 2016, 02:11 am Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 02:26 am by mowgli88
Just to give weight to the "downgrade AVR boards description, via boards manager, to 1.6.11" fix - it worked for me:

OS X El Capitan
Arduino IDE 1.6.10
Board tested: Mega2560

AVR version - was 1.6.12 - caused error as described in OP
AVR version - 1.6.11 - Fixed

Many thanks all for the fix!

Presume the authors are aware and are hard at work fixing 1.6.12!!!

tigger

I have been using 1.6.7 for some time now, both before and after Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro updgrade.
Uploading etc. worked fine up until a few days ago, then the problem described started with no changes on my part.
Before finding this article, I had to resort to a clean install of 1.6.11 to get things working again.
The only thing different in working practice was more projects involving bare 328PU chips and a Sparkfun FTDI adaptor. The problem had never happened before over quite a few years of using Arduino

cmartu

I am using a Genuine Arduino UNO and got the exact same issue:

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

This happened after I upgraded to 1.6.12 from 1.6.11
Rolling back the upgrade fixed the problem.

Thank you to everyone for helping me fix this issue.

I agree to mowgli88's note:

I hope that the Authors are aware about this and will come with a fix!

XinXinAlex

try to instll this
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr/

neogio8216

same with 1.6.14 update. received that error msg while trying BLINK prgm on a nano clone. then installed 1.6.13 and it worked...so far.

pert

I believe the issue is explained at https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/5427, which also fixes the cause of the issue. This means that, once released, Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.15 and newer will not have the problem. Until then, as has been discovered, I would recommend any of the following fixes:
  • Update to Arduino IDE 1.6.12
  • Use Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.13, 1.6.11 or previous with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and older
  • Manually implement the fix shown here

Go Up