Go Down

Topic: BME280 Sensor not working (Read 14525 times) previous topic - next topic

zoomx

You're right, I don't own a BMP280 so I don't know if it works or not. Never tried to use the BMP library to read the BME, you did it and it works. But I prefer to avoid the possibility that the wrong library can have a role in the issue.

I also suggest to test the sensor without anything else, so without the I2C LCD .

Gerryduino

So I sat for 2 or 3 days experiencing all of the problems that so many others have posted regarding the BME280. I used the Adafruit_BME280 with absolutely no success!  I tried all the suggestions: Edited the .h to force the address to 0x76 to no avail. I tried pulling SD0 to ground.
None of this worked and I tried many different sketches. I assumed I had killed the device.
I then used the good old I2C scanner by Nick Gammon, and lo and behold, it confirmed a device at 0x76!
After more struggling I started testing other libraries, and eventually found that

BME280 Library by Tyler Glenn works like a bomb. The example included BME_I2C_Test reports Temp and Pressure, but 0.00% RH.
The Environment_Calculations example also works well.

As Adafruit say about their library:
This is a library for the BME280 humidity, temperature & pressure sensor

Designed specifically to work with the Adafruit BME280 Breakout
 ----> http://www.adafruit.com/products/2650

Clearly the ones from the east are not the same, and must use a different library.

Tested on an Arduino UNO

Emperor_Secus

Mar 03, 2018, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2018, 11:52 pm by Emperor_Secus
So I sat for 2 or 3 days experiencing all of the problems that so many others have posted regarding the BME280. I used the Adafruit_BME280 with absolutely no success!  I tried all the suggestions: Edited the .h to force the address to 0x76 to no avail. I tried pulling SD0 to ground.
None of this worked and I tried many different sketches. I assumed I had killed the device.
I then used the good old I2C scanner by Nick Gammon, and lo and behold, it confirmed a device at 0x76!
After more struggling I started testing other libraries, and eventually found that

BME280 Library by Tyler Glenn works like a bomb. The example included BME_I2C_Test reports Temp and Pressure, but 0.00% RH.
The Environment_Calculations example also works well.

As Adafruit say about their library:
This is a library for the BME280 humidity, temperature & pressure sensor

Designed specifically to work with the Adafruit BME280 Breakout
 ----> http://www.adafruit.com/products/2650

Clearly the ones from the east are not the same, and must use a different library.

Tested on an Arduino UNO

Thank you! I got this library from the built in library manager and it works!
Although it is showing my board as a BMP280 not BME280, and shows Hum as 0.
The seller I got my board from on ebay had it listed as BME280.
The markings on the chip are 187 YP, anyone know if these are BME or BMP?

Edit:
The board I received is a BMP280, there was another buyer who posted negative feedback on the sellers page with the same issue.

Seller name is ral8881010 on ebay. If you're looking for BME280 boards, don't purchase from that seller.

JavK10

Hi everybody!
This is my first post! I need help with my sensor because I have some problems with it...
In my project I use two sensor, one was modificated ( cut and solder of pins, according to https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=404946.0) and the another no.
This worked well for a while, but then it failed the modificed sensor (0x77, i2c direction) ...
I try to many forms, but I do not have good luck!
I use the i2c scanner and it find it!!!, but it does not work! it not send any data:(
What do you think about this? any idea??
I'm not sure, but maybe I could have burned it for static current when I have touched it....
Thanks to everyone!

zoomx

Try to get that from the bad sensor alone.

skywatch

I had the exact same problem - I purchased a BME280 and was sent BMP280.

I sent the seller photos of the module and the screen capture of the test reporting it as BMP and not BME.

Seller then stopped all communcations. A week later I had to open dispute to get my money back.

I got mine from ....

"Aliexpress" seller  "All Electronics Trading Company" - I do not trust this seller......

I am now awaiting a BME280 from another seller on another site!

JavK10

Try to get that from the bad sensor alone.
Hi zoomx!
I tried it, but do not work...
I use the i2c scanner and works! I am very confused :(....

zoomx

If you are using the Adafruit library take the address fount with I2C scanner and put it inside the begin

Code: [Select]
bme.begin();
For example if I2C found the sensor at 0x76 write
bme.begin(0x76);

JavK10

If you are using the Adafruit library take the address fount with I2C scanner and put it inside the begin

bme.begin();
For example if I2C found the sensor at 0x76 write
bme.begin(0x76);

Hi zoomx! I tried this but doesn´t works... :(
I will continue to investigate about this problem...
Thanks!

tpo88

Go Up