Go Down

Topic: Is there a solution to the soldering nightmare ?  (Read 4639 times) previous topic - next topic

Zapro

If you observe professionals (engineers, technicians, rework people in commercial electronics companies,
you will never see them tinning the tip of the iron with a roll of solder unless they simply don't have any paste at that station. It just doesn't make sense because it requires both hands and is not as fast at sticking the hot tip in the paste and rotating it for a second. Only an amateur would do that. You don't save any money because one tin lasts years.
Please back this up (images, video, text IPC-papers etc).

I have been working in the electronics industry for the last 15 years (Production/test/repair) in Denmark, and i have never seen that practiced.

// Per.

raschemmel

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

be80be

May 16, 2016, 10:27 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:29 pm by be80be
I just use solder myself it works great with 40/60 rosin core that lead free stuff not happy though  need rosin to tin the tip

avr_fred

Please back this up (images, video, text IPC-papers etc).

I have been working in the electronics industry for the last 15 years (Production/test/repair) in Denmark, and i have never seen that practiced.

// Per.
+1

I have been in the industry for forty years. I have worked in several board assembly shops, complete with rework, test and engingineering labs. I've passed MIL and NASA soldering and inspection courses back in the seventies and NEVER have I seen a tin of paste flux, ever, in those environments. I would go so far as to say the stuff is not even permitted on a work bench, it has no place in electronics, period.

As a side note, one of my summer jobs while in school was repairing Heathkits at the local store. 85-90% of the problems were always soldering or soldering related. We would resolder complete kits, tv's, ham rigs, the works with just Kester 44 and the Heath GH-17 iron with the big 1/4" chisel tip. Yes, that included the digital stuff too. You do not need need additional flux, you need correct technique.

IMO, this obsession you have with paste and liquid flux is just silly and totally unnecessary. Further, if the paste you refer to is the usual plumbers stuff in the tin (no-corrode or whatever the brand name is), you should be shown the door for ever getting that's stuff near electronics. It is way to aggressive and it will eat the plating right off your tips. It is like drugs, once you using it, you cannot stop.

raschemmel

May 16, 2016, 10:47 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:55 pm by raschemmel
No one said paste FLUX !

I said SOLDER PASTE !

( to tin the tiip) I've never seen paste flux either. I sai luquid flux ( squeze bottle) and solder paste.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Zapro

lNo one said paste FLUXt I said SOLDER PASTE ( to tin the tiip) I've never seen paste flux either.
I understood that.

Still, no one (apart from you) uses expensive solder paste to tin the tip.

In some places, a "tip tinner" is allowed to replenish the life of the tip if it's badly corroded, but it's really nasty stuff and very corrosive on it's own.

// Per.

raschemmel

May 16, 2016, 11:08 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:16 pm by raschemmel
Queer link!  
I fixed the links.

avr_fred

May 16, 2016, 11:25 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:25 pm by avr_fred
No one said paste FLUX !

I said SOLDER PASTE !

( to tin the tiip) I've never seen paste flux either. I sai luquid flux ( squeze bottle) and solder paste.
Well, actually, you said just "paste" several times in this thread and in the past. Perhaps the real reason that myself and another took you to task is that because what you consider to be a common practice really is not? Did you ever think of that?

Hey, everybody makes mistakes. Mea culpa.

I still stand by my post. No additional flux needed or required if you use flux core solder. I routinely solder smd devices with .015" Kester 44. It's all about technique. Further, if you want something to tin your soldering iron tips, use the products designed for that purpose:

Weller WPB1 to clean your tip

And Kester Lead Free Tip Tiner to make it bright and shiny

raschemmel

May 17, 2016, 12:24 am Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:06 am by raschemmel
I use RadioShack SKU #64-020 tip tinner.
That's what I'm calling "solder paste".

safety datasheet

Paul__B

OK guys, calm down!

According to the links given, the paste to which Rasch refers is indeed, that used for SMD oven work.  It is effectively the same as rosin cored solder except that it has a much higher flux content which is exactly what you want for tinning the iron tip.

Pros and cons - it is substantially more expensive but Rasch's point is that rather than having to bring your solder to the tip each time, you just dab the iron in the pot (very) briefly.  It is definitely "tinning" the tip and with a quick dab you do not actually pick up much solder.

Cover the pot when you turn the iron off.

be80be

May 17, 2016, 02:17 am Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:18 am by be80be
Kester 44 is rosin core it don't need nothing else to work. But you cant find that every where locally.
Radio shack did sale some that was close to being as good then out came lead free and they sale some of that that has no rosin core it's useless with out there rosin flux and guess what it's a paste LOL and key word there is rosin. That's not the same stuff plumbers use.
like the song times are a changing so has solder. 

But the op just needs to know a few things first off don't learn to solder with solder that doesn't have flux in it's core.
Next pick a iron that's big enough for the job most 25 watt will do but a 40 can be better just have to not hold it  on the part as long the trick is to heat the joint and then add the solder putting it on the tip it will burn off the rosin and then it will not flow.

And last no one can really teach you how to solder they can show you but it's a skill and you have to learn how and what works best for you more like a art maybe even like basketball I can show you how I do it but for you to get good you have to pick up that ball and practice and practice soldering is the same.   

raschemmel

I use kester 44 as well. I like liquid flux for SMD work, but I use the solder/tin paste to tin the tip .

be80be

I use kester 44 as well. I like liquid flux for SMD work, but I use the solder/tin paste to tin the tip .

Me to sometimes I use the tin paste if Im using leadfree, Flux is great for smd the 44 is hard to find around here
But its a very forgiving solder because of it's rosin core. Some want's to brag show some joints done with lead free solid core I picked of a roll of that by mistake and it's impossible to use without rosin flux pen. I'll wear glasses at all times now LOL.
Way I see it fit it works for you and isn't broke don't try to fix it. And just because I do it my way don't mean your way is not just as good key factor there is as long as they both work.

Go Up