Go Down

Topic: HTML Buttons (Read 20910 times) previous topic - next topic

petergams

OMG I have looked all over the place for some basic help on creating a simple button to turn on/off an LED using HTML.

I have a Twenty Ten and a Freetronics PoE Ethernet shield.

Is the Ethernet shield too new?

I have limited knowledge but am so looking forward to getting started.
:(

PaulS

I have a Twenty Ten and a Freetronics PoE Ethernet shield.

Where is the Arduino in this mix?

Is the Ethernet shield too new?

No.

I have limited knowledge but am so looking forward to getting started.

Start here, then.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html

petergams

Sorry PaulS.
I'm only starting out.

Arduino Twenty Ten is my board.

Gee, I just feel like I got in trouble.  lol  ;)

Thank's for the site, It's not making a huge amount of sense at the moment but I guess I'll just have to see what I can work out.

petergams

Start here, then.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html

Didn't help me at all.

Am I just not getting it or is it something no one really understands?

If it's possible for maybe a sample bit of code, that would be fantastic.

Im running out of ideas to type into google.. :'(

PaulS

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you have the Arduino acting as a web server or a web client?

petergams

The code I am using at the moment reads Light and Temp values.

The values are viewed on a web page when you access the Arduino via the IP address I assigned it to suit my network.

PaulS

The values are viewed on a web page when you access the Arduino via the IP address I assigned it to suit my network.

So, the Arduino is a server.

Having the Arduino return a page that contains a form is no different from having any other web server serve up a page with a form on it.

It still appears that this is a web page design issue rather than an Arduino issue.

If I'm missing something, feel free to set me straight.

keeper63

I find it amazing in this day and age that someone could successfully set up a microcontroller to act as a web server, serving up a web page with data from the microcontroller, yet not be able to write a web form to interact with the system.

/I must be getting old...

:D
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

petergams

Hey crOsh,

It's not hard to download an example piece of code and get it to run.

When you want to add some code to do something else it becomes a bit harder.

Maybe you guys need to chill. Everyone knows you guys are on top of your game and have this stuff down pat. But some of us are still learning.

I thought a Forum was where you could go to get help.

Obviously I am wrong.

Sorry I bought Arduino and damn sorry I found this Forum...

Maybe you need to take some time and remember what a forum is about.

petergams

Thanks Webmeister,

That has got me on the right track.

#include <WString.h>

No longer works

so I used
#include <SPI.h>

and I'll have to work out the changes.

Appreciate your help.
:)

pwillard

Nov 02, 2010, 11:02 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 11:03 pm by pwillard Reason: 1
Lets keep in mind that you probably did not learn how to drive a car using a Formula 1 car.

Jumping into ETHERNET with Arduino is cool... but I think it's not really on the list of starter projects.  If it is... it shouldn't be.

You need to get the BASICS worked out... then the "futzing" with someone's code to make it do what *you* want gets a WHOLE lot easier.

The goal here is to come up with your own ideas and solutions... not have people write code for you.

keeper63

Maybe you need to take some time and remember what a forum is about.

I was merely commenting on how, back in the day (ie, mid-1990s or so?), one would be more likely to know how to set up a CGI-aware web page with forms and such - long before they would know anything about setting up the web server it was running on.

Then again, this was back in the days of SLIP/PPP and WinSock (among other anacronisms)...

I wasn't knocking on you specifically, just commenting on the fact that in a span of 10-15 years we've gotten to the point in technology where one can easily and cheaply attempt to run before they can walk (and all the resulting potential "disaster" that implies).

You're having problems setting up a web form, using it, and understanding it. Others have problems understanding why they are burning out their Arduino's by direct-connecting devices to the pins without knowing Ohm's Law (or how to read a datasheet).

It just used to be that one would take the time to study and learn at a pace suitable to the knowledge to be gained. Others have told me "That time is past"; still they fumble and make me wonder "has it really?".

Like I said, I must be old...

;)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

zoomkat

The below link has some basic info on generating html with the arduino.

http://www.scienceprog.com/getting-hands-on-arduino-ethernet-shield/
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

petergams

I must apologize for venting my frustration, but that's what it is.

Getting the correct answer means asking the correct question.

Knowing the correct question is not as easy as it sounds.

I don't want the complete code for my project, just some direction.

Thank you zoomkat.

I think it's time for a beer or two. ;)

Go Up