Go Down

Topic: Double Back Up Service (Read 384 times) previous topic - next topic

kelvinmead

May 18, 2016, 09:03 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:04 pm by kelvinmead
hey,

just thought id put this out there.

I have my sketchbook put to my dropbox folder, as is the hardware / libraries etc... whenever i save it uploads to dropbox. you never notice it, it works fluidly.

i regularly back up my mac (about once a month or so when it tells me off... but its a manual plug external drive in and press go) so i'm happy that most of my work is decently saved, but i work on arduino projects daily, and having them all in the dropbox cloud (not paid btw, just a few introductions to get the space up a bit) means that if i ever have a fail, everything is as current as it possibly can be.

my current arduino project folder is 316mb, which isnt too large but WELL within the dropbox space.

just a process that i've used for a while, and worth sharing.

edit... this seemed like the best place for this post, especially for newcomers, but if it needs to be moved, then so be it!

ballscrewbob

Great idea.

I do something similar with win 7.
But I sync to one drive and google drive.

Had occasion to re-build my box so it is great to know I can pull back stuff with ease and nothing is lost.
Doing two locations like me is probably overkill.

You can also use a few other free cloud based storage options too so its a good tip to avoid troubleshooting libraries especially if you had to hunt them down for oddball hardware.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

septillion

Making backups is always a good idea :)

as is the hardware / libraries etc...
Of course you do because the hardware and libraries folders are a subfolder of your sketchbook ;)

whenever i save it uploads to dropbox. you never notice it, it works fluidly.

i regularly back up my mac (about once a month or so
But I would not call that regularly... I would call that rarely. In a month you can collect or change a lot of files you don't want to lose. My regularly is one hour with versioning up to 20 or so.
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

kelvinmead

aye, but if i lost a months worth of music / films / etc it would be annoying, re-encoding etc... but the arduino stuff, i'd be annoyed of losing an hours worth.

at least this way if my system fails even mid-upload, ill probably have even that file backed up! :) 

Go Up