Go Down

Topic: Wifi for micro (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

pedro_manuel_31

Heads up Im new and Im not sure if this is the right category.

So I used my laptop psu on my leonardo, witch because of that no longer works, I dont intend to buy I new one because I still have the micro witch does the same thing.

Problem now is that I canot connect my ethernet shield to the micro. I cant find a breadboard big enough and some of the pins are in diferent directions.

Well, its time for an upgrade anyway (I hate cables, and rather not use then if possible) so I tough on buying an wifi something for the micro. So my question is, is there a specialized wifi shield for the nano, or any well know modulo that  will work with no extra addons, only the arduino micro and tha wifi module?

Koepel

Adafruit has the "Feather" series. But they do not combine ATmega32U4 with wifi, every wifi board has a M0 processor : https://www.adafruit.com/feather.

mrburnette

Or...
For $4 you can secure a NodeMCU with native B/G WiFi 2.4G and close Arduino compatibility:
Forum: http://www.esp8266.com/viewforum.php?f=25

Hardware (example) : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/731260/search?origin=y&SearchText=Nodemcu

These NodeMCU can run at 80MHz or 160MHz, work with the latest ArduinoIDE, and are lots of fun.  Buy several at thus price.

Ray

Brosco

I have looked at an esp (wemos) but I am constantly confused, I keep seeing references to a development card, and then a Nodemcu card.  Are these the same thing?

Paul__B

Probably.

Essentially, these are all a combination of the ESP8266 subsystem with a USB-serial interface and a power regulator.

This permits you to program them - with various alternative tools, including the Arduino IDE.

What I find rather amusing is that in this case, the USB has no real functionality other than programming and testing it since the device is primarily a WiFi terminal and the computer to which you connect the USB almost certainly itself has wither wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi capability (or both), so the ESP as such really cannot add functionality to the PC either in connectivity or processing power (not that its processing power is insubstantial).

mrburnette

May 22, 2016, 07:24 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:37 pm by mrburnette
<...>
What I find rather amusing is that in this case, the USB has no real functionality other than programming and testing it since the device is primarily a WiFi terminal and the computer to which you connect the USB almost certainly itself has wither wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi capability (or both), so the ESP as such really cannot add functionality to the PC either in connectivity or processing power (not that its processing power is insubstantial).

The USB on the NodeMCU is a serial-to-USB, so it is just like a Nano.  Except thd NodeMCU uses a CH340.

WiFi is software controlable ... normally, ON for the Arduino environment, but it can be disabled/enabled by a single function call.

For under $4, you get a hugh flash area... upto 4M of which 3M can be used as read/writable flash, just like SD.  You also get a large SRAM area.

Remember Nick's Prime Number program?
Compiled under Arduino 1.6.8
    Sketch uses 232,782 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,044,464 bytes.
    Global variables use 31,995 bytes (39%) of dynamic memory, leaving 49,925 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81,920 bytes.
The test unit was $3.11 USD, delivered.
summary of testing without RF

Remember, the ESP8266 is a 32-bit device and there is an entire WiFi BIOS that gets loaded with every sketch - so, the larger than expected sketch size.  There is also a task-switcher that is loaded to maintain a clean Arduino & WiFi switching capability.  But, those free flash and SRAM numbers are still very amazing.

Ray

Paul__B

And that is what I said.

It's a super-Arduino and makes an excellent stand-alone device with or without wireless capability.

But as an appendage to a PC (using USB), it has limited I/O capability compared to a conventional Arduino and its processing power is not particularly beneficial.

it is cheap.

Go Up