Go Down

Topic: Powering WS2812 LEDs (separate or from board?) (Read 2606 times) previous topic - next topic

terragady

Arduino is power via USB. I connected LED white (GND) to gnd from this PWM controller and red (+5) to + from PWM controller and green one to the arduino pin 8 (tried different ones). I tried to cut one LED from strip and connect from Arduinos +5, GND and digital out but it doesnt work at all :( maybe I fried them using this DC controller? I set there 5V with multimeter.

terragady

May 21, 2016, 10:57 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:58 am by terragady
how to check if I fried them or something else is not working? When they were on they were getting pretty hot so i disconnected them. When I measure strip with multimeter (3 LEDS) powerd from arduino and connected data pin I have +5V(~5.1) between GND and 5V and I have also +4.5V between 5V and data.

When I connect 5V from arduino and data pin I can see very faded green light from the LED, when I touch GND to it from Arduino then it dissapears.

EDIT:

OK i tested them more. When I connect my DC regulator and LED, no data whatsoever, just +5 and GND the LED is lit up with kind of blueish colour. I tried to fry one by putting max =12V and I indeed fried one. But when I connect LED (not this fried one) to the arduino also without data just +5 and GND i get nothing :( with DATA is the same, only sometimes there is this little bit of light, barely visible. I tried 3 different arduinos and its the same. Maybe i damaged LEDs at the beginning using this PWM thingy? I used it before for small 12V pump to control its speed and was working fine.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

terragady

schematic of what? How to connect 3 wires?

larryd

Argumentative.
Well, if you only have 3 wires with no power supply, no controller, no 1000uf capacitor and no series data resistor then you are on your own, good luck.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Paul__B

Argumentative.
Well, if you only have 3 wires with no power supply, no controller, no 1000uf capacitor and no series data resistor then you are on your own, good luck.
Have to credit that! :smiley-lol:

terragady

OK, here you are. I do not use capacitor, Arduino is connected to USB with computer.

PaulRB

May 22, 2016, 10:10 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:11 pm by PaulRB

Use a capacitor!

How many leds? For more than around 10, you must use an external power supply.

terragady

yes thats what I was writing before, with Arduino I am using max 3 LEDs. For more at the beginning I was using DC PWM controller from the link above. So I was worried that I burned the LEDs using it because I cannot get them work now at any way.

Go Up