Go Down

Topic: Beginner Electronics (Read 6237 times) previous topic - next topic

couka

It's seems a bit offtopic to reply to the OPs actual question now but anyways  :D

Electronics is fun, when you are able to solve some problem or build something you want to have.
Reading books and learning rules is fine, but not just for the sake of learning theory. That gets boring withing days.

As long as you stay away from dangerous voltages etc., doing it is the most important thing.  :)

lg, couka
youtube.com/DieBastler1234
Don't send me technical questions via PM. They will be deleted unanswered.

raschemmel

May 29, 2016, 02:07 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:45 pm by raschemmel
The OP's question was " WHERE would you learn electronics ?" but the real questions that the OP  should be asking are "How serious are you about learning electronics ?"
"Are you shopping for enough op amps to last a week or a lifetime ?"
"Are you sure this is what you want to do ?"
"How far are you willing to go to learn electronics ?"
I built so many circuits ( soldered point to point on proto boards ) that I had to throw some of them away for lack of storage space.)
Because there was no internet when I "started" in electronics (altough a more accurate description would be "When I accepted Ohm's Law as my savior..."  LOL) I had to learn from cookbooks. I had ALL of them ( at one time my book collection numbered in the hundreds but my wife made me get rid of most of them when I got married ( at age 55). I had to give them up for the internet. ( I can still find some of them online in PDF)
The OP says they want to learn robotics, which , unlike Aerospace, id at least something you can do in your garage (I actually had a lab in my room when I first started)
My father was a doctor and he was disappointed when I told him I chose electronics as a career. I invited him to visit me to see my lab. When he saw it his only comment was:
"I think you went into electronics because you like to play with toys..."  LOL
I didn't know how to respond to that because I think he had some insight that I didn't.
Years later when I was "playing"with an Applied Materials PVD tool wafer handling robot I remembered what he had said.. It's  not often when you get to play with "toys" that cost as much as a Ferrari. (an E-Chuck is a ceramic gold inlaid electrostatic wafer chuck that cost $250,000.)
I think the OP should just " go for it" and build a robot. ( with our help of course ..)
I'll believe tge OP is serious when they buy a scope.

gpsmikey

I think the thing for the OP is that the trick with electronics is starting with a manageable project or experiments.  Deciding an autonomous robot that mows the lawn and runs around the house would be a "good project" would be a good way of losing interest - there are too many things to try and learn before you could see any rewarding results.  Starting with a basic uno and some of the books suggested or online tutorials and doing things like blinking an LED, turning something on and off or making it move and understanding WHY there is a resistor between the output/driver and LED is much better.  It is like deciding to learn to swim by jumping off a cruise ship mid-atlantic - highly unlikely to have a good outcome.  It is really exciting that there are things like the uno on a single low priced board (or the starter kits are even better).  When I started, you screwed tube sockets down to a board and were playing with 2-300 volts (on the other hand, those plate voltages certainly taught respect for electricity  :o   ).  Put the experiments together - take the time to understand WHY there is a resistor there or a diode over there and how they function.  It will take effort but if you are seriously interested in learning, it will be worth your time (the same thing applies to everything - you have to put in the effort - contrary to what they told us in school, it was NOT "intuitively obvious" !! )
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

raschemmel

May 29, 2016, 06:26 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:59 pm by raschemmel
I jumped off a cruise ship and swam to shore.  I didn't wait till it was mid-Atlantic tbough.
A typical high school wood floor roaming 3 or 4 wheel H-bridge driven, IRled and ultrsonic sensing, FPV guided 5.8 Ghz wireless camera mounted  robot is not a mid-Atlantic class project. We have 12 year olds building those here.  The web is swamped with parts and kits and schematics to do that. The first "obstacle" is learning Ohm's Law and how to draw a schematic, starting with a pen and a blank sheet of printer paper and moving on to ExpressSCH ( NOT ExpressPCB). Let's not go  crazy here. The simply asked "Where to learn electronics ?"  They haven't actually LEARNED ANYTHING yet ( that we know of).
Let's not schedule a Shuttle launch for someone who hasn't mastered "Blink without delay".
They need to read & draw schematics ( NOT Fritzings) and they need to know Ohm's Law forward and backward before wd can strap them into a cockpit.
The fact that there are no less than a dozen such kits available on the web

About 441,000 results (0.60 seconds) 
is one indicator of how "doable" ( and NOT impossible) this is. I used a standard RC car platform for my senior project. I added extra shocks on the back and mounted a 132 tooth gear driven pick and place robot with a Tamiya motor driven  gearbox with a gripper made from an erector set with an RC servo that opened and closed the gripper. The H-bridge rear wheel drive had a rotary encoder to measure distance.  There are mang variations of wood floor roaming robots and many of them are kits while the majority are "roll you own"

Go Up