Go Down

Topic: Mega 2560/Data Logging Shield (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lochlewis

This might belong in the Storage section but I'm putting it here because those posts seem to be about the formatting of SD cards. I don't have an issue with that... I don't think. I've always used the SDFormatter and it's worked well.

I have a data logging shield with countless hours of logging time that I use with an Uno. I'm expanding the number of sensors in the array and this has caused me to look into using the Mega for it's multiple serial communication capability.

I formatted the SD card that I've always used with the Uno/Data Logger combination. Tested a new Mega with the usual blink sketches. Opened the CardInfo sketch and made the following changes in the code;

<chipSelect = 10;>,
<pinMode(53, OUTPUT)>.

Compiled and uploaded the sketch to test operability of the data logger with the Mega. The result was "Could not find FAT16/FAT32 partition...".

I've seen on some offsite posts that show some people have physically connected 10, 11, 12, 13 to 50, 51, 52, 53. These posts are old and if I recall involve a Mega model previous to the 2560. I've been understandably apprehensive about executing this procedure.

I've also noticed during regression testing that the RTC is inoperable. I made numerous attempts to reset the clock using the RTC sketch. To check that the battery was still good I dismounted the data logger and remounted it on the Uno; works fine.

A side issue; when I uploaded the alternate SD file I followed the instructions to hide the original folder. For some reason the Arduino IDE still sees it at compile time.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

johnwasser

I would check with the Logging Shield documentation to see if it is MEGA compatible.  One way to tell is to look for a socket on the bottom of the board that connects to the 6-pin ICSP header.  If you don't have that you will have to do some wiring to connect to the MEGA's SPI pins.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

Go Up