Go Down

Topic: Arduino ide with chrome book (Read 23301 times) previous topic - next topic

metalhead8711

Hello everybody. I wanted to purchase a chromebook because I want a laptop in can take everywhere but I mainly want it to program with arduino. I'm not certain if the chrome ios  is compatible with the arduino programming environment. Any ideas?

liuzengqiang

I wouldn't get a chromebook even if it's free. For the same money you can get a windows 10 small laptop with better specs. Problem solved. There is no Arduino IDE on chromebook. Codebender is not THE Arduino IDE that everyone is using.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

Robin2

I am writing this on an ACER Cloudbook which is (I think) similar hardware to a Chromebook. I deleted Win10 from it and installed Linux. It runs the Arduino IDE very nicely.

I don't know if you can replace ChromeOS with Linux.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

liuzengqiang

Chromebooks are more locked down than small win8/10 laptops. My asus laptop was only $150 when I bought it. I kept the windows 8 and upgraded to 10. Battery is good for hours and hours compared with my main laptop. Arduino IDE, EAGLE, Python, etc.

tagami

Chrome OS is the fastest growing OS in the K-12 education market. It's current market share is 51%+. Apple has 24% and PC 23%.

We use Codebender currently and would love to use create.arduino.cc are there plans for Chrome OS?

liuzengqiang

Chrome OS is the fastest growing OS in the K-12 education market. It's current market share is 51%+. Apple has 24% and PC 23%.

We use Codebender currently and would love to use create.arduino.cc are there plans for Chrome OS?
Where are these number from and which country or global?

captainju

Please make create.arduino.cc compatible for chromebooks :))
It makes even more sense now that codebender gives up…

pwelte

+1000

Our high school uses Chromebooks as well. They are perfect devices for our requirements/environment. We have also been using Codebender.cc and were disappointed to hear they are closing down. I plan to support them for a while with a monthly K12 subscription but it would be very useful if an extension/plugin was made to allow Arduino Create work with ChromeOS.

chirschi

+1000

Perhaps you could look at the code codebender.cc uses to upload sketches to arduino. Hope there will be soon a solution for chromebook owners.

bmcage

Here are the alternatives for chromebooks:

1. chromeduino works:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromeduino/dmkincdpchiadkhhocmbpjljebfifgbl

However, no external libraries (ok for K12), and compiling is on their server, so if codebender.cc cannot pay for that anymore, and all go there, they might run into problems.
On the other hand, they work on local compilation in javascript, so then no server needed anymore.

2. edu.codebender.cc

Has libraries, but is paying. 10$ per month for 20 students. Small price, but an overhead.
Codebender has a lot of open source: https://github.com/codebendercc/ Somebody can probably create an instance for a local server from that

3. put chromebook in devel mode (https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton), install crouton, and then install the normal Arduino IDE. Works without problems, but students can easily put the chromebook out of devel mode, and then you need to reinstall everything (VERY annoying)

4. push arduino.cc to port create to chromebook

interestedtom

arduino ide would work on chromebook if someone were to adapt the underlying java libraries to chromebook's Aura window system, that is all that is needed. All the command line tools already work and arduino ide includes it's own avr-gcc compiler so no need to port that over, just need to get one open source project to coordinate with another.

Go Up