Go Down

Topic: Salvaging PC parts (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tyler_newcomb

Hello all

I have an old hp compaq lying around dead and useless, and I am thinking about salvaging parts from it. I know that I would love to have the CD drive motors and laser, the fingerprint scanner, some connections, and various other things.

Is this possible? Or will everthing be useless surface mount stuff? Are there any precautions I should take? (other than unplug, remove battery, wear gloves, and short capacitors)? Any suggestions of the most useful parts to salvage?

One final question.....
Can I salvage the monitor and use it with arduino??

Thanks in advance
Tyler
I am not extremely knowledgeable, but I am always willing to learn!

Zapro

It sounds like a laptop (correct)?

There are no capacitors you need to discharge, so you can safely take it apart.

Unfortunately, parts in a laptop are very hard to re-use with something like an Arduino.

CD-drive motor is three-phase, and driving it is not trivial. Laser-diode (if DVD) is visible, but not very bright. Be aware that if it's a CD-only-drive, the laser "looks" to be very dim, but actually it is almost invisible since it's near-IR.

Fingerprint-scanner is using USB-interface - interfacing this with Arduino would be almost impossible. Even if you had a USB-host-shield, you need documentation and driver-support for it. Good luck!

You cannot re-use the monitor, as it requires a very fast data-connection, which the Arduino isn't capable of delivering.

// Per.

tyler_newcomb

Yes, it is a laptop. Sorry I thought I mentioned that.

The motors have since been scrapped, as they are difficult to remove and incredibly small, and I don't really want to solder connections that precisely.

The laser I also scrapped, as it is difficult to remove and at this point not very useful to me.

The fingerprint scanner is the part that I really want to re-purpose. It does not have USB connection, instead it has a flexible ribbon wiring with about 6 connections (I think, I don't have a multimeter to test anything for sure). I think that I could solder connections to wires to use with the arduino, but I dont know if it will be possible to interface with the arduino.

If anyone has any experience or has worked with similar scanners and has insight, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler

Zapro

The fingerprint scanner is the part that I really want to re-purpose. It does not have USB connection, instead it has a flexible ribbon wiring with about 6 connections (I think, I don't have a multimeter to test anything for sure). I think that I could solder connections to wires to use with the arduino, but I dont know if it will be possible to interface with the arduino.
Thanks,
Tyler
It's still USB. Webcams, fingerprint readers etc. inside laptops runs on the USB-bus, but it does not use the general USB-plugs as they are too big.

// Per.

tyler_newcomb

Well that sucks. I'm sure there is a way, I'll just have to do tons of research and experimenting.

technix

Well that sucks. I'm sure there is a way, I'll just have to do tons of research and experimenting.
You might be better off repurpose those major parts for Raspberry Pi. The Pi have the USB and high speed display bus (MIPI DSI though, conversion chip may be necessary to drive it) capabilities so you can reuse them. The optical drive can be fit into a USB to SATA (or IDE) bridge so you can use it as a portable drive and of course the Pi can use it.

On the other hand, the keyboard and trackpad can be reused with an Arduino. In fact the least you can do is get one of Arduino boards that is capable of acting as USB HID and make that old keyboard work as a USB keyboard.

Go Up