Go Down

Topic: opinions on death . (Read 6780 times) previous topic - next topic

amine2

Sep 05, 2016, 01:24 am Last Edit: Sep 05, 2016, 01:27 am by amine2
I am a staunch and unswerving disciple of Richard Dawkins :)
By means of books, film, word-of-mouth etc

The only sense in which I acknowledge life-after-death is through the continuity of things a person has done - such as writing a piece of music or making a scientific discovery. (Can't immediately recall anything useful that I will be leaving behind :) )

...R
even if it would not be a direct effect . "the butterfly effect" , would make the impact of your existence massive . but considering my shallow knowledge of you , i think your effect on humanity is quite large .
though the biggest achievement of a person is their kids . it shows what their personality and manner of thought directly left to the world .

the problem these days is that some scientists are speculating that we might no longer need sharp intelligence due to the rapid development of technology and the expansion of pop culture , that's the part some might actually need to worry about . though this is just a speculation at the moment . non-accurate statistics have been showing the opposite during the past years , but the decline is expected in the near future .
it's all about the melons .

INTP

what do you think happens to human consciousness after death ?
Consciousness is pre-death, by definition. Any experience experienced is a consequence of a dying brain. And any experience experienced requires a not-entirely-kaput brain, i.e., still pre-braindead-death.

Just about everyone dies from the same mechanism- the lack of blood/oxygen to the brain. We know the results of this. It just so happens the most sensitive parts of the brain to hypoxia and ischemia are the components of the limbic system like the hippocampus, which is involved in memory and emotion, and even time perception.
Long story less long, a dying brain suffers a neurochemical cascade, essentially a seizure in the memory part of the brain. Just as a seizure in the motor cortex results in outwardly apparent spasms, a seizure in the memory part of the brain results in a jumble of components of a lifetime of memory.
While the literature is laced with hokey new age rubbish about the afterlife, astral planes, other realms of consciousness, heaven, etc, the experience is real and the shortcoming is with the vocabulary and intelligence of those individuals who have been near-death attempting to explain the experience.

Long story short, there is nothing after death. But there is a perceived afterlife pre-death. Your lifetime of memories come together and your brain tries to weave a story with its components, and it feels eternal because the time perception parts of the brain are also going kaput. Not unlike dreaming, where bits from your memory get thrown together for a story, dream time doesn't correlate to real world time, and you don't know it was just a dream until you wake up. You don't wake up from the pre-death dream, you'll never know it's just a hallucination, it's as real as anything, to you. And then there is no more you. (other than symbolically in the minds of others).

amine2

Consciousness is pre-death, by definition. Any experience experienced is a consequence of a dying brain. And any experience experienced requires a not-entirely-kaput brain, i.e., still pre-braindead-death.

Just about everyone dies from the same mechanism- the lack of blood/oxygen to the brain. We know the results of this. It just so happens the most sensitive parts of the brain to hypoxia and ischemia are the components of the limbic system like the hippocampus, which is involved in memory and emotion, and even time perception.
Long story less long, a dying brain suffers a neurochemical cascade, essentially a seizure in the memory part of the brain. Just as a seizure in the motor cortex results in outwardly apparent spasms, a seizure in the memory part of the brain results in a jumble of components of a lifetime of memory.
While the literature is laced with hokey new age rubbish about the afterlife, astral planes, other realms of consciousness, heaven, etc, the experience is real and the shortcoming is with the vocabulary and intelligence of those individuals who have been near-death attempting to explain the experience.

Long story short, there is nothing after death. But there is a perceived afterlife pre-death. Your lifetime of memories come together and your brain tries to weave a story with its components, and it feels eternal because the time perception parts of the brain are also going kaput. Not unlike dreaming, where bits from your memory get thrown together for a story, dream time doesn't correlate to real world time, and you don't know it was just a dream until you wake up. You don't wake up from the pre-death dream, you'll never know it's just a hallucination, it's as real as anything, to you. And then there is no more you. (other than symbolically in the minds of others).
yes , as far as what happens that's all relatively accurate .
though i have one question for you . we were dead for an eternity of time before our birth . what did actually wake us up  ? was it the birth of a human body with a specific DNA configuration ?
it's all about the melons .

ChrisTenone

yes , as far as what happens that's all relatively accurate .
though i have one question for you . we were dead for an eternity of time before our birth . what did actually wake us up  ? was it the birth of a human body with a specific DNA configuration ?
I don't think we are dead prior to birth. We come into being at birth (or conception depending on one's politics/culture.)
What, I need to say something else too?

Henry_Best

I don't think we are dead prior to birth. We come into being at birth (or conception depending on one's politics/culture.)
We were not dead but non-existent before conception/birth and we will be non-existent after death.
Some people need fairy stories about an afterlife to stop them worrying about their non-existence.

Robin2

We were not dead but non-existent before conception/birth and we will be non-existent after death.
Some people need fairy stories about an afterlife to stop them worrying about their non-existence.
+1

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

calicocat

Which is silly because you need to not exist before you can be born...

Henry_Best

Which is silly because you need to not exist before you can be born...
Where did I claim otherwise?
Did you exist 500 years ago?

CrossRoads

Maybe in a past life, a reincarnation or two ago.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Robin2

I thought the OP was referring to the second line of your Reply #87 - and agreeing with you.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

calicocat

What I said was synonymous with what you said, or at least I thought it was...

Henry_Best

What I said was synonymous with what you said, or at least I thought it was...
Sorry. I misunderstood you.

Go Up