Go Down

Topic: using surgical spirit to clean connections before desoldeirng? (Read 6276 times) previous topic - next topic

liamorourke

Can i use ethanol and methanol based surgical spirit for cleaning connections prior to desoldering instead of isopropyl alcohol?
Thanks

aarg

Huh? I never bother to clean anything prior to desoldering. Sometimes I have to add some flux...
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

MarkT

You would normally use a flux-remover _after_ soldering or desoldering.  Make sure you use a
solvent that can dissolve rosin.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Noobian

1) I do not know of any methanol based surgical spirit, since methanol is super Toxic :smiley-mr-green: . I don't think you should be playing around with methanol if you don't know how to properly handle it, since even inhaling it or topical contact is dangerous.

2) Ethanol or Isopropyl based surgical spirit are not 100% pure. They are diluted with water. So make sure you don't clean your contacts in such a way that you might short them.

3) Do not use it if the contacts are not at room temperature, since these alcohols are flammable and have a low flashpoint (autoignition ). Also keep it away from your soldering Iron, unless danger is your middle name.  :smiley-twist:

4) Why do you wanna clean the solder which you are going to remove anyway???  people usually clean the contacts before they solder something on to it, and not before taking it off. That is unless your connections were exposed and accumulated a lot of dirt/muck, in that case rubbing alcohol is not your best solution. :D

raschemmel

IPA (IsoPropyl Alchohol) can be used to clean PCBs or remove flux.

That is NOT rubbing Alchohol which is dfferent. I don't know which you are referring to .

The bottle of IPA that I have says only "Isopropyl Alchohol".

It says nothing about ethanol so the answer to your question is NO.

Use IPA only. (Not ethanol)
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Noobian

That is NOT rubbing Alchohol which is dfferent. I don't know which you are referring to .

The bottle of IPA that I have says only "Isopropyl Alchohol".

It says nothing about ethanol so the answer to your question is NO.

Use IPA only. (Not ethanol)
Rubbing alcohol is nothing but diluted IPA with some additives. It is also called surgical spirit because it is used to cleanse the skin.

If your bottle say only "Isopropyl Alchohol" then it is 99% IPA. You can use it to clean but must do so in a well-ventilated area since it is toxic (not as toxic as methanol which is NSFW anyway). Rubbing alcohol is relatively the best choice for cleaning when it comes to safety.

In some countries they use ethanol instead of IPA in rubbing alcohol.

Actually you an use ethanol based solution to clean. I use Vodka to clean my screen. (not pure ethanol)

raschemmel

I use Vodka to clean my screen
Not the good stuff I hope !  ;D
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

MarkT

Rubbing alcohol is nothing but diluted IPA with some additives. It is also called surgical spirit because it is used to cleanse the skin.

If your bottle say only "Isopropyl Alchohol" then it is 99% IPA. You can use it to clean but must do so in a well-ventilated area since it is toxic (not as toxic as methanol which is NSFW anyway). Rubbing alcohol is relatively the best choice for cleaning when it comes to safety.

In some countries they use ethanol instead of IPA in rubbing alcohol.

Actually you an use ethanol based solution to clean. I use Vodka to clean my screen. (not pure ethanol)
Surgical spirit is ethanol and some additives.  It won't contain IPA since that's not safe for medical use.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Whandall

It won't contain IPA since that's not safe for medical use.
Ethanol would be to expensive (taxes) and IPA is safe for medical use (at least it is used there heavily).

Medical

Rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting pads typically contain a 60-70% solution of isopropyl alcohol in water. Water is required to open up membrane pores of bacteria, which acts as a gateway inside for isopropyl. A 75% v/v solution in water may be used as a hand sanitizer.[18] Isopropyl alcohol is used as a water-drying aid for the prevention of otitis externa, better known as swimmer's ear.[19]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

larryd

I use a bit of liquid flux on component leads prior to desoldering them.

I use: Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, a good Vodka and Clamato juice to rinse the inside of my esophagus.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

raschemmel

I use: Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, a good Vodka and Clamato juice to rinse the inside of my esophagus.
I recommend Tito's Vodka.

larryd

No technical PMs.

raschemmel

Paul__B

1) I do not know of any methanol based surgical spirit, since methanol is super Toxic :smiley-mr-green: . I don't think you should be playing around with methanol if you don't know how to properly handle it, since even inhaling it or topical contact is dangerous.
What a load of bollocks! :smiley-roll:

It turns out that "surgical spirit" is by definition, "methylated spirit" which is 10% methanol, so rubbing it on the skin (and possibly introducing it into cuts) is exactly its intended application.

Calling methanol "super toxic" is quite an exaggeration.  The body has limited capacity for tolerating it so the small amounts involved in the reasonable use of surgical spirit - on the skin - or as a cleaning agent, are not dangerous.

The only concern might be the oily residue - or perhaps this might even be an advantage.

Ethanol would be to expensive (taxes) and IPA is safe for medical use (at least it is used there heavily).
"Denatured" alcohol avoids the taxes since it is simply not practical to remove the methanol.  IPA is certainly the standard for medical use in skin "prep" swabs and cleaning cloths, so the vapour is not considered a significant problem.

Mind you, it is generally prohibited for use in the operating theatre as a skin "prep" due to accidents where this has pooled on sheets and ignited during surgery.  On the other hand (or hands), ethanol - denatured with acetone (whose awful smell means no-one would even dream of drinking it) - is now used as an alternative to water-based surgical (hand) scrubbing.

larryd

"super toxic"
If you are really worried wear protection:

No technical PMs.

Go Up