Go Down

Topic: using surgical spirit to clean connections before desoldeirng? (Read 6222 times) previous topic - next topic

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

raschemmel

Methanol

Flammable liquid and vapor. Cannot be made non-poisonous. Vapor harmful. Toxic by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Irritating to eyes and skin. May cause irritation of respiratory tract. Toxic: danger of very serious irreversible effects through inhalation, in contact with skin and if s. Explosive. Use personal protective equipment. Keep away from open flames, hot surfaces and sources of ignition. Use only under a chemical fume hood. Wash off immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Wash off immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Immediate medical attention is required.  
CLICK "View more specs..." at the bottom.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Boardburner2

<Rant on>

I used to use industrial meths for dissolving shellac for varnish.
A now passed on friend used to swear by it for lacquering  guitars and Japanese finish furniture.

Then i ran out.
I used pure methanol after that until it ran out also.
Commercial meths is ok for most stuff but not for light wood particularly balsa, the purple stain is a menace.
Also as a solvent it leaves a residue.
IPA can work if pure but takes longer to evaporate it is also twice the price.
Also difficult to dissolve shellac in ipa without heat, i do not want to put alcohol on my stove for obvious reasons.
There are  proprietary answers to this but they cost.

It is possible to get a licence from HMRC for hobby use provided you can supply a document from a supplier showing that meths is required.
Shellac supplier used to recommend this but since HMRC made the ruling they seem not to.  
They just say alcohol without specifying type.
I can point HMRC at threads where this is discussed but thy want to see documents.

Very very annoying.
<rant off>
EDIT
<Rant off>
syntax error.

raschemmel

Have you ever heard of Dichlorodifloromethane ? (AKA "OH NO !" gas ?)
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

raschemmel

aka Ozone buster? 
Not familiar with that name but probably the same thing. Not a chemist but I guess a methane is very different than a methanol.

gpsmikey

Not familiar with that name but probably the same thing. Not a chemist but I guess a methane is very different than a methanol.
Yep - totally different critters - methane is CH4 while Methanol is CH3OH

mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

Boardburner2

Methane gas is the precursor to liquid methanol, first step to synthetic fuel.

ChrisTenone

Methane gas is the precursor to liquid methanol, first step to synthetic fuel.
Well, it could be, but in fact methanol is commercially made by reacting carbon monoxide with hydrogen. The traditional way is to distill rotting wood.
What, I need to say something else too?

Boardburner2

Well, it could be, but in fact methanol is commercially made by reacting carbon monoxide with hydrogen. The traditional way is to distill rotting wood.
Large scale pilot plants are now operating.
Some gas fields are uneconomic for pipelines to the plan is to convert to liquid at the rigs.

raschemmel

Large scale pilot plants are now operating.
Some gas fields are uneconomic for pipelines to the plan is to convert to liquid at the rigs.

there is a slight chance we might be drifting off topic... ;D

Noobian

there is a slight chance we might be drifting off topic... ;D
Just a slight chance?? :D

The topic was like "hey b0ss, can I habe methanol to clean my pcb plz"... and has now reached the point where various production methods of methanol are in discussion.

Paul__B

Go Up