What a load of bollocks! It turns out that "surgical spirit" is by definition, "methylated spirit" which is 10% methanol, so rubbing it on the skin (and possibly introducing it into cuts) is exactly its intended application.Calling methanol "super toxic" is quite an exaggeration. The body has limited capacity for tolerating it so the small amounts involved in the reasonable use of surgical spirit - on the skin - or as a cleaning agent, are not dangerous.The only concern might be the oily residue - or perhaps this might even be an advantage.
Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. As little as 10 mL of pure methanol, ingested, is metabolized into formic acid, which can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. 30 mL is potentially fatal, although the median lethal dose is typically 100 mLMethanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties
If you are really worried wear protection:
It turns out that the methylated spirit "aka denatured alcohol" by definition is nothing but ethanol with 10% methanol additive. So basically the Surgical spirit which you mentioned is Ethanol based, and NOT methanol based.
But that's B.P's version of surgical spirit, others use IsoPro with no methanol, instead of denatured alcohol.
The amount of methanol in Surgical spirit is of a considerably small amount, that is after the methylated spirit has been diluted with 30% Water.
I use Isopropyl alcohol to remove the residue, before the alcohol evaporates wash the PCB in distilled water, then use an air compressor to blow off the water.Things like switches, relays etc. that can be damaged by water, are soldered after..
no one has gone blind yet.
I cant help but wonder how they arrived at that figure.
Autopsy report ?
Naah! Frankenstein "trial and error"