Go Down

Topic: New Web Based IDE (Read 2587 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

@ Paul

The "anywhere" aspect is possibly one of the more useful functions I can see and being able to set up your own mini cloud or intranet based version is something that interests me.

Have seen some forums that allow macro functions to store  "boilerplate" responses so I know it can be done with relative ease. Based on many of the responses many of you use they are often similar and I agree you could make use of something to allow you to drop in a reply then just tweak it to suit the individual requirements.

Think I would agree with the forum needing an overhaul for sure.
My pet peeve on that aspect is the "search" which jumps to google and I am sure confuses some people.
Searches should be "in house"

Followed closely by your point on the answers being sorted a lot better. Its pretty clear from the questions that most people (myself included on occasion) don't dig much past the first couple of pages or use the search function nearly as much as they should.

As to the security aspect I would hope that decent authentication is used. We hear all to often of data breaches and I am sure there are many many more that go un-reported.

Reliability comes back down to being able to work on or off line as the individual situation dictates or chooses. Even here in Canada I still come across many areas where internet or cell phone coverage is zero.
With that in mind I would hope that they include the ability to keep local storage that will sync when people are back in areas with coverage / service.

CLOUD = MONEY...Yep I hear you on that one...100% agreement...enuff said.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Passing over security,
Hold on  moment...

How do we know that the cloud servers are not actually controlled by the Mafia (of whatever nationality most worries you).

I certainly have no intention of putting my data in a room where some other guy can spend 24/7 cracking my codes and viewing my stuff.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Paul__B

I think the reason I chose to "pass" on security is pretty obvious. :smiley-lol:

ballscrewbob

Jun 16, 2016, 05:12 am Last Edit: Jun 16, 2016, 05:22 am by Ballscrewbob Reason: coz fer
Dang it why does this keep showing as NEW when I already read it like zillions of times (ok maybe 3 or 4)

Note to Forum peeps... ya gotta set the read counters a little better so I stop looking at stuff I already read , readed, red, looked at, viewed, seen it done it T shirt, etc.

BTW passing on security...never a good thang...jus sayin... Wikileaks and all that good stuff and the guy hidin in russia.  Wait so if somebody can see that I wrote code to blink and I messed up...nah ain't nobody inturestid in my (bleeped before mod gets it).

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Hutkikz

I was just invited to try it out. (but had to send a email because it won't let me in)

It will be nice to be able to code when I'm away from my PC as I often have downtime at work or have  inspiration and want to preserve it before I forget.

I generally avoid anything cloud based, particularly if it's personnel but I look at my code with an open source outlook and if I did have a project I didn't want let loose in the wild I wouldn't use it for that.

Looking forward to trying it out at least.

Go Up