Go Down

Topic: Troubles powering WanTai 42BYGHM809 stepper motor with Arduino Uno/Motor Shield (Read 2575 times) previous topic - next topic

12tgf1

Hello all,

As part of a research project I need to design a pan and tilt controller for a high speed video camera. After salvaging a high torque stepper motor (WanTai 42BYGHM809) from past projects, I bought the most versions of the Arduino Uno and the Arduino Motor Shield. To my understanding, the motor shield is best suited for motors that require larger currents than the Uno can provide. The rating on the motor seems to be 1.7 A and 3.06 V (http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Robotics/42BYGHM809.PDF) (http://www.wantmotor.com/product/42byghm.html). I need to interface with the Arduino via USB to a Mac to control through LabView ---> Linx ---> Arduino. I've tried a 12V, 2A wall wart wall power supply through the external power supply plug and just powering it from the USB. The USB option was a long-shot and didn't give the motor enough current. When using the wall wart, the motor shield became tremendously hot and the motor vibrated and made unsteady rotations. I unplugged the power supply before any damage was done to the motor shield (I hope). Any advice on power supplies for this stepper motor?

Cheers

rpt007

You need a motor shield which can supply enough power to the stepper and this power can't be delivered through your Arduino!
So - what kind of motorshield did you use, pls specify.

Using a high torque motor - it is always better to use higher voltage (e.g. 24V) power supply which is also able to deliver the required current.
Did you use the forum search?

Similar or same kind of issues like yours have been solved a dozen times ...
Before you ask:
Did you really read and understand How to use this forum ?
AND:
Do you have already some solution or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?  :)

Robin2

Most motor shields are just a package for a h-bridge and are a poor choice for driving a stepper motor. Use a specialized stepper motor driver. The motor seems to need 1.7amps so a Pololu DRV8825 should be suitable.

That driver allows you to limit the current to protect the motor when using high voltages - such as your 12v supply.

The Pololu web page also has a lot of useful information.

Have a look at Stepper Motor Basics and this Simple Stepper Code

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

12tgf1

I was using the Arduino Motor Shield V3. I had perused past posts on related subject but didn't find anything specific to my problem. The specs on this motor shield made me believe it should work. Any further advice on getting this one to work before I move on to another one?

rpt007

This driver shield is too weak to drive your stepper.
It comes with max. 1A, your motor spec says 1.7A.

I would strongly recommend to go with a drv8825 - quite reasonably priced, up to 2.2 A (heat sink and active cooling provided) and up to 45V.

So this will do for your project. There is no other way then going with a new driver.
The v3 shield is then free for a smaller stepper.

Edit: make sure you connect the right wire pairs.
Before you ask:
Did you really read and understand How to use this forum ?
AND:
Do you have already some solution or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?  :)

Robin2

Any further advice on getting this one to work before I move on to another one?
Did you read Reply #2 and the links in it?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

That motor is low-impedance, cannot be drive by an H-bridge as it needs current control from a chopper
driver like a DRV8825.

High impedance steppers (30 to 60 ohms) are suitable for operation (very slowly) from a dual H-bridge
motor shield, but frankly that's pointless, DRV8825's are cheaper, low-impedance steppers are cheaper.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

12tgf1

Hey guys,

Update: The Polulu drive arrived and I've set up a circuit as shown in the attached pictures. I'm using a variable power supply (BK Precision 1687B Switching power supply), which I had set at 10 V. I'm controlling the Arduino by running LIFA_base.ino and then using the attached LabView code. Unfortunately, I got NO response from the motor. No jerking motion, no vibrating, nothing. Any thoughts?

Here's all the info (pics and code)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i33m9yivhzi7k5r/AAACs_NMlEWmRp1UXh_0q1_la?dl=0

Thanks again,

Tristan

Go Up