Go Down

Topic: (repost) Robotics Q. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or Both? (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

xxmamakinxx

I'm using a 12V DC car seat motor, a VNH2SP30 motor driver, and an incremental rotary encoder to move a lot of weight repeatedly back and forth.  The motor is drawing 3A, and as it goes through its motion, I want to PWM it with 6V, then speed up to 12V as it goes along its rotation because 1: I'd like to smooth into the motion, and 2: as the motor turns, the weight of the object in motion increases, resulting in the motor needing more power to maintain constant speed. 

I'd like to do  this by keeping track of the motor rotation using the encoder, and adjusting the voltage out to the motor, to keep the motion continuous and smooth when it needs more power. 

That seems like a lot to keep track of with just Arduino.  Recommendations?  I have some experience in Raspberry Pi, but I've never used it with motors, or am I just being overly cautious and should I develop this in Arduino?

Robin2

You don't need to change voltage. With PWM you should have no problem getting the full range of speeds that you need.

You should probably read up about PID feedback control.

An Arduino should have no problem with what you want.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

xxmamakinxx

Go Up