Go Down

Topic: NANO has vanished? (Read 5992 times) previous topic - next topic

ArthurD

is it true that the NANO has vanished?

uxomm

Nano has been moved to the "Retired" section of the Arduino products website (like many other boards).

I have never used a Nano but many other Arduino boards.

Some sellers may still having stock of original Nanos and there might be some clones to get.

Alternatives:
Arduino Micro - same form factor, different microcontroller, good for breadboard use
Arduino Pro Mini - same microcontroller, slightly different form factor, no USB on board, good for breadboard use
Arduno Uno -  same microcontroller, different form factor, not good for breadboard use

Always decouple electronic circuitry.

ArthurD

Jun 30, 2016, 08:16 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2016, 08:48 pm by ArthurD
the Nano's pro's are:
USB
8 ADC (A0-A7)
breadboard form factor
2 KB RAM

so it's even more powerful than the Uno - and much smaller!

(on Arduino.org the Nano is still listed, as I just found out!)

westfw

(on Arduino.org the Nano is still listed, as I just found out!)
They're also still listed at Gravitech (the original manufacturer, I believe.)
Note that many of the "serious" distributers (Mouser, Digikey) resell the .org products.

it's even more powerful than the Uno
It has the extra two Analog (only) pins, and that's about it.  No programmable USB chip (FTDI on the original.)

I suspect that the Nano is so widely cloned (for very low prices) that Arduino.cc was unable to find anyone who was willing to manufacture it to be sold at "full price" (or maybe they were unwilling to do the marketing support, for the same reason.)  This is a lesser-known disadvantage of cheap clones; if the original manufacturer can't sell their version, it can just go away.

(meanwhile, if you find a reasonably reliable vendor, the clones seem to work fine.)

ArthurD

Jul 02, 2016, 11:25 am Last Edit: Jul 02, 2016, 11:28 am by ArthurD
2 extra analog ports on the Nano are very precious IMO:

as on the AVRs/Uno A4+A5 are used for i2c, normally just  four (A0-A3) are left for ADC.
On the Nano, providing additionally A6+A7, it's 50% more for analog sensors (plus i2c plus all the 14 digital IOs, of course).

Unfortunately most of the Nano clones from China which I have seen they cannot be recognized by the PC and by the Arduino IDE ("unknown USB 2.0 device"), no idea which USB-to-serial interface and/or bootloader they are using, at least it's not the original one.

westfw

most of the Nano clones from China which I have seen they cannot be recognized by the PC and by the Arduino IDE ("unknown USB 2.0 device"), no idea which USB-to-serial interface and/or bootloader they are using
Well known issue.  They're mostly using the CH340G from WCH Electronics.  Datasheet and drivers here: http://wch.cn/product/CH341.html and http://wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html
(This is this is the manufacturer website.  I'm not sure if that's the most recent driver (though it's pretty recent.)) (You can read Chinese, right?)
It seems to be a cute chip; VERY cheap and in an unusually "friendly" SOP16 package.  It does need an external crystal, though.

ArthurD

thank you very much, but...
a) no, I can't read Chinese (as you perhaps already assumed ;) )
and
b) I don't have one any more: either they were not mine, or I have returned them to the vendor because they were not 100% compatible (got a refund by Ebay / Paypal consumer protection 8) ).

ArthurD

Jul 04, 2016, 04:36 pm Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016, 05:00 pm by ArthurD
A Chinese "Nano" costs just 2 EUR incl free shipping - but being not PC/IDE-cross-platform-compatible (requiring a different shady driver when autodetection does not work) then it makes no sense.

ps,
my original Arduino from Arduino.org worked correctly p'n'p from the start, both with Windows (USB driver) and with the Arduino.cc IDE (board + COM port detection)!

ArthurD

Jul 04, 2016, 05:13 pm Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016, 05:18 pm by ArthurD
the part to buy a non-compatible Nano makes no sense to me.

ArthurD

Jul 04, 2016, 05:32 pm Last Edit: Jul 04, 2016, 05:33 pm by ArthurD
well, 30-40 EUR for a Nano is far too expensive, as I get a Pi 2 or even a Pi 3 or even 3 Arduino Due clones for that money, but the TOP is about the Nano having vanished from the Arduino.cc website, and that was actually the thing which made me wonder.

68tjs

Change your windows for a Linux and you will have no driver to find and download.
Linux will do it for you.

Who says Linux is more complicated than Windows? :smiley-mr-green:

When you use an operational amp you take a specific model from a single supplier or you take an equivalent model?

The ftdi circuit and the CH340G perform exactly the same function.
Ftdi banned the use of his driver, but to realize a circuit that does the same fonction with another driver is perfectly legal.
Les Shadocks : L'ignorance ne s'apprend pas.

ArthurD

OMG, Linux, are you kidding? Before I would use Linux for my Arduinos I'll probably drop the whole stuff to the trash basket preferably.
But the reason for it all is cross-platform compatibilty, and no one of all Arduino users I know here is so stupid to bother with Linux, haha....! :-D
That's why p'n'p Windows compatibility is required ;-)

keeper63

But the reason for it all is cross-platform compatibilty, and no one of all Arduino users I know here is so stupid to bother with Linux, haha....! :-D
I've been "botherin' with Linux" since 1995 - it's been my primary desktop (of one flavor or another - I haven't used every distro, but I've tried a bunch) for over 2 decades. My career as a software developer would be radically different (and probably lower paying) without that experience on my resume.

I've never had a problem getting the Arduino communicating with any of my Linux systems.

If you're having problems, it likely isn't the platform, or the Arduino - but maybe something else?
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

ArthurD

Jul 06, 2016, 11:00 am Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 11:02 am by ArthurD
I am a hobby programmer, not a software developer, I don't work on mainframes with serial terminals (for which that UNIX monster dinosaur once was designed, 40 years from now), I don't use terminal command windows or command lines, that's computer stone age. Steve Jobs had understood that point in a really sophisticated way, designing his Lisa and his Macintosh, and Bill Gates copied (or stole) that idea very well for the IBM compatible world.
But this topic is not about monster dinosaur Operating Systems but about the Nano which has vanished from the Arduino.cc website, and which is just provided by Arduino.org as it seemed, at a horrible and completely  unreasonable price. Clones which are not 100% compatible actually are no Nano clones at all IMO, just cheap tinker stuff for hackers, not for end users.
(my 2ct)
So it stays to me as assumed: the "real Nano" has been dropped by Arduino.cc .

ArthurD

Jul 06, 2016, 03:17 pm Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 03:18 pm by ArthurD
no, I already explained why, just try to read closely, it would probably do you good:

if I purchase a Nano I expect to get a Nano -
- and above all, I also expect it to work on different PCs of different owners like a Nano, p'n'p,  if we test something and exchange electronical setups and circuits with the standard IDE.

Go Up