Go Down

Topic: Turn on Arduino with vibration (Read 957 times) previous topic - next topic

buchacho

How can I power on an Arduino with vibration? I want to keep it off most of the time for a remote application.

septillion

Use a vibration sensor?

PS, the answer is as good as the question? ;)
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

groundFungus

How does the sensor sense vibration if it is off?

buchacho

Aug 14, 2016, 12:03 am Last Edit: Aug 14, 2016, 12:08 am by buchacho
Use a vibration sensor?

PS, the answer is as good as the question? ;)
It's a good simple question. Re-read it.

How does the sensor sense vibration if it is off?
Agreed, whatever circuit turns on the Arduino needs to act without it since it would be off.

Grumpy_Mike

Agreed, whatever circuit turns on the Arduino needs to act without it since it would be off.
Do you want the Arduino off or would it do in sleep mode and have the vibration sensor wake it up?

Wawa

The sensor from post#1 is essentially a ballpoint spring mounted inside a metal tube.
Spring is electrically isolated and attached on one end only. Everything a bit smaller ofcourse.
Commonly used in toys.
Leo..

septillion

It's a good simple question. Re-read it.
No, you reread my answer ;) As I said, my answer is as good as the question. If you don't like the answer it's time to expand the question ;) Or at least give more information. Why does the Arduino needs to be off? Only the Arduino? Is the power consumption a problem? Do you need a certain level of vibration? Does it need to stay on after vibration? And I can continue...

I can think of a hundred ways to turn on an Arduino with vibration. But they would not all make sens in all situations.

But if you're thinking about saving battery, just forget the whole turning off the Arduino part. Any external circuit to do so will take more energy then putting the Arduino to deep sleep and let it waking up to "vibration" for example with a vibration sensor.
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

Grumpy_Mike

Any external circuit to do so will take more energy then putting the Arduino to deep sleep and let it waking up to "vibration" for example with a vibration sensor.
But with a vibration switch on a spring maybe this could trigger a latching relay to power on the Arduino and then the Arduino code could fire the other coil and turn itself off when it is finished.

septillion

That's why we need more info. If it's about a battery powered situation then powering a relay will not save energy at all... Even for a short time it will take more energy then keeping an Arduino in deep sleep....

Go Up