Go Down

Topic: Watch Winder project. Pays $200? (Read 2213 times) previous topic - next topic

TimCoeling

Jul 10, 2016, 11:41 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 02:09 am by TimCoeling Reason: Title edit
I have an Arduino project I'd like to do but I'm out of my depth on the programming end.  I'm willing to pay someone to code this thing for me.  Here is the overview for anyone is interested:

I am building a winder for automatic watches to keep them wound when not in use.  Automatic watches have a weight in them that winds the mainspring when the watch is worn.  Wrist movement powers the watch.  When not in use the watch needs to be rotated to keep it wound.  Most automatics require between 500 and 900 turns per day.  The winder motor needs to spin around 8 rpm and the day's turns should be spread out equally throughout the day or winding period (e.g. wind for 5 minutes, rest for 10).

The hardware I have is:

-Arduino Mega 2560 R3
-NEMA 17 1.8deg (200step/rev) stepper motor
-Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3
-Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout [ID:746]
-Adafruit RGB backlight negative LCD 20x4 + extras (RGB on black) [ID:498]
-Adafruit i2c / SPI character LCD backpack[ID:292]

The requirements are:

There are four navigational buttons (down, up, confirm, escape) which are used to
navigate the menu and change settings.  One additional button to pause the action

This project provides ability for the following:

Adjustable Turns Per Day (TPD)
  -increments of 10

Adjustable Direction
  -clockwise
  -counterclockwise
  -both (alternating)

Adjustable Turn Frequency
  -start turn sequence every n number of minutes. Do you want that hour's turns to
   happen all at once at the top of the hour, or spread out to occur every 5 minutes
   throughout the hour?
  -winder automatically calculates number of turns per cycle, depending on
   cycle frequency and TPD
  -Option to wind only during user preset hours. (avoids noise at night)

Turn Counter
  -displays number of turns since midnight

GPS Receiver
  -get GPS time for on-screen clock
    -also used for resetting turn counter at midnight

Coding Badly

patduino

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those that don't.

OldSteve

Jul 11, 2016, 05:01 am Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 02:22 pm by OldSteve
Sounds like massive overkill for a watch-winder. I recently made one to spec for a customer, but it had almost none of the features you describe. It used a geared DC motor for rotation, turned in one direction for 5 minutes, followed by a 20 minute delay, then 5 minutes in the other direction, ad infinitum while it was powered. (That's all he asked for.)
He reports that it works very well and does the job with no problems.

It just basically consisted of an ATTiny85, a relay, a MOSFET and the motor.
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

cedarlakeinstruments

It used a geared DC motor for rotation, turned in one direction for 5 minutes, followed by a 20 minute delay, then 5 minutes in the other direction, ad infinitum while it was powered.
In other words: a cycle timer!!
Electronics and firmware/software design and assistance. No project too small

OldSteve

In other words: a cycle timer!!
More or less, with reversing every half cycle. That's all that's strictly required for a watch-winder.
(And all that was asked for - the customer tried to do it with a pair of 555s etc, but failed dismally, so I quickly knocked up the tiny85 version.)

TimCoeling's will be particularly fancy for a watch-winder, with a Mega2560 for brains, stepper motor w/ stepper shield, GPS receiver and LCD.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

PaulS

GPS Receiver
  -get GPS time for on-screen clock
    -also used for resetting turn counter at midnight
You plan to operate your watch winder outside?

An expensive damned way of knowing what time it is, compared to a $2 RTC.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

TimCoeling

I know the GPS is overkill.  Automatic watches are overkill, I could wear a $20 quartz watch if I was only interested in practicality.

If the GPS turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, I won't use it, no big deal.

I want to keep the other features.

PaulMurrayCbr

-Adafruit RGB backlight negative LCD 20x4 + extras (RGB on black) [ID:498]

There are four navigational buttons (down, up, confirm, escape) which are used to
navigate the menu and change settings.  One additional button to pause the action
Have you already worked out what you would like the LCD screen to display? Have you worked out what the menu structure is to be? Or will the programmer be doing this?
http://paulmurraycbr.github.io/ArduinoTheOOWay.html

OldSteve

displays number of turns since midnight
Will this really be useful information?

TimCoeling

Will this really be useful information?
Since it's based on the steps commanded to the motor and not an external encoder, not really.  It will look neat on the screen, that's enough.

I'm not sure why some of you guys are having a hard time with the features I want on this winder.  Isn't a lot of this site dedicated to robots that serve even less purpose than my watch winder?  I'm aware that this could be done with simpler parts, that's not the point.  The point is to make a cool-looking thing to display and wind my watches on.

TimCoeling

Have you already worked out what you would like the LCD screen to display? Have you worked out what the menu structure is to be? Or will the programmer be doing this?

I've worked out what I want the screen to say.  Menu structure is still up in the air.

I'm working with Pat from this thread.  He PM'd me right away and said he could do it.

Go Up