Go Down

Topic: Quick advice needed for stepper motor set-up (Read 612 times) previous topic - next topic

Jackambrose

Jul 11, 2016, 02:37 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 06:21 pm by Jackambrose
Hi all!

Edit - please read down for updated proposed hardware solution.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Jack

Robin2

Those motors seem to need 2.8amps per phase and that Velleman shield would be quite unsuitable for driving them.

They need a specialized stepper motor driver. For smaller motors you could use, for example, a Pololu DRV8825 but those motors will need a much more powerful and expensive driver. I suggest Googling for "stepper driver 4 amps" or 5 amps.

Of course this advice might lead you to search for a motor that only uses about 1.5 amps and which could be controlled with a cheaper driver.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

jremington

This should be sufficient for my use case
But if it isn't?

Jackambrose

Thanks guys! I was reading the required as MAX 2.8 amps so thought less would be sufficient.

Would this driver do the trick then? Still have to figure out if I could have it shipped to Europe in time...

Jackambrose

Ok - new plan and new hardware. How about a combination of the following

Nema 34

MA860H driver

48V switching power supply

Thanks!

J

jremington

Jul 11, 2016, 08:04 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2016, 08:04 pm by jremington
Before you buy a motor and controller, you should be certain that the mechanical torque and power requirements of your project are met. What is the application and how did you estimate these two factors?

Robin2

If the motor is suitable for the application the other stuff in Reply #4 should be fine to work with it.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up