MiniCore - An Arduino core for the ATmega8/ 48/ 88/ 168/ 328

The 8 MHz and 1 MHz option should work just fine on 3.3v, at least with the ATmega8L. I haven't tried running my ATmega8 on 3.3v, but I guess it's possible. Don't the ATmega8 boot at 3.3v, or is it just unstable?

If i load it at 5v it runs OK 3.3v, the problem is that i cant upload at 3.3v i have tried FT232RL,CP2102 and CH340G. a bit annoying if i have to remove the nrf24l01 or similar every time i upload something.

If you have the time try uploading at 3.3v so i know if its just some local problem with my setup.

Any way nice work with the core i will give the 12mhz external a try on a usbasp later on.

If i load it at 5v it runs OK 3.3v, the problem is that i cant upload at 3.3v i have tried FT232RL,CP2102 and CH340G. a bit annoying if i have to remove the nrf24l01 or similar every time i upload something.

You can still have 5v Rx and Tx line even though the microcontroller is running at 3.3v. The FTDI/CP2102/CH304G will handle this fine. I'm actually doing this on the DIP-40 AVR/Arduino board I've designed. I have a 3.3v/5v jumper to select the microcontroller voltage. The CH340G are always running at 5v, but doesn't seem to care about the 3.3v line. Your nRF24L01 will still get its 3.3v :slight_smile:

Yes, they have problems quite often. Just this week I told someone to manually do it with avrdude...

I just tested this, and there is indeed an efuse error. According to other users it hasn't been working since 1.6.0. Why haven't anyone created a pull request to fix this? Can't be THAT hard :stuck_out_tongue:

A new release of the core is now available!

Changelog:

• Efuse error on the ATmega8 resolved
  • Lock bit error on the ATmega48 resolved
  • Support for Arduino Eclipse IDE added!

If you're using the boards manager URL you can just upgrade in the IDE directly :slight_smile:

I'm really excited about the Arduino Eclipse support. The latest nighty builds lets you change the clock frequency and Brown out fuse bits; just like in Arduino IDE.
Download the Arduino Eclipse plugin (or complete IDE, your choice) here: http://eclipse.baeyens.it. Instructions on how to install MiniCore (or any other particular core with a boards manager URL) can be found HERE: MiniCore - Eclipse

Please let me know if you have any questions or belive you've found a bug :smiley:

What has to be done to support the Eclipse IDE in a third party board package?

Not really. First this is to get yourself a boards manager URL, which you have :wink: then you need to add the file externalprogrammers.txt to your avr folder. The reason why it doesn't accept programmers.txt is that it would require all 3rd party cores to have their own set of programmers. If not there wouldn't be possible to use them in Eclipse. In other words, Eclipse can't use programmers from other cores.

Still, if I added a full set of programmers to this core, it would mess up Arduino IDE completely with duplicated programmers everywhere! I had a discussion with the author of this plugin, and decided to call the file externalprogrammers.txt, to prevent interfering with Arduino IDE.

hansibull:
No interest? I am surprised :frowning:

Well, I have not forgotten putting that "P suffix" into my Mouser orders! Had I, I'd be jumping for joy over your core effort :slight_smile:

But, I took some time with my coffee this morning and looked over your effort - excellent.
Any reason you decided to not include the 85P?

Ray

Any reason you decided to not include the 85P?

85P? Haven't heard of that one before! :wink: Are you thinking about the ATmega8?

hansibull:
85P? Haven't heard of that one before! :wink: Are you thinking about the ATmega8?

I'm an idiot until after my second cup of coffee...
Meant ATTINY85-20PU

Ray

Why would you expect a core meant for the 32/28 pin ATmega x8 series to support an ATtiny chip?

There are many other cores available that support the tiny x5 series. I suggest you try mine - it supports pretty much all chips in the ATtiny line that are interesting to Arduino users except the ATtiny13 (which is covered by a different core) GitHub - SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore: Arduino core for ATtiny 1634, 828, x313, x4, x41, x5, x61, x7 and x8

Unlike most cores for the 85, it gives proper tone support and PWM output on 3 pins (many ATTiny cores for the 85 don't support the amazing timer Atmel gave us) and I'm working on a number of features to further improve support for these parts.

DrAzzy:
Why would you expect a core meant for the 32/28 pin ATmega x8 series to support an ATtiny chip? <...>

The question, is not why, it is why not?

The solution being offered by hansibull is flexible enough to offer a uniform "non-Arduino" core-set ... for 8-bit Atmel uC's... regardless of pinout. IMO, there are simply too many cores... the time is ripe for someone to publish a uniform approach to all of the Atmel castoffs that never became officially supported.

If not hansibull, someone else will... will not be me 'cause I'm too lazy and have been off in 32-bit land for a couple of years. Any 8-bit stuff I'm prone to do can be done with IDE 1.0.6.

Ray

I just used the core for the first time with an ATmega328P @8MHz internal, worked great thanks!

I frequently recommend that people put the Uno bootloader on their ATmega328P 16MHz boards like Nano and Pro Mini. If a bit-more-advanced-than-beginner user has no need of majek's flash write modification, are there any other improvements in the version of Optiboot used in MiniCore vs the old one used for the stock Uno bootloader that warrant the extra complication of installing MiniCore? I did look at the comparison of majekw/optiboot/supermaster vs Optiboot/optiboot/v4.4 but I'm not sure how significant those commits are to this application.

It might be a good idea to add a link to the majekw/optiboot repository branch and commit that you got your bootloader source from to https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore/blob/master/avr/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/README.TXT(and your other cores) so that users can easily see if there have been any significant changes to majekw's fork or Optiboot/optiboot since that time. For example, I can see that your version is at least one commit behind majekw/optiboot/supermaster: Workaround for gcc 4.7/4.8 bug #50925 making unnecessary stack frame. · majekw/optiboot@6262a28 · GitHub.

Meant ATTINY85-20PU
IMO, there are simply too many cores

Yes, there are too many cores out there, and that's why I've created a core for a whole family instead of single microcontrollers. IMO it's better to install ~3 or 4 cores and get support for most AVRs rather than installing one gigantic core where the author just push the code and never updates or supports it. The best ATtiny core out there is definitely Dr Azzy's core. If you for instance install MightyCore, MegaCore, MiniCore, GitHub - MCUdude/MicroCore: A light-weight Arduino hardware package for ATtiny13 and GitHub - SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore: Arduino core for ATtiny 1634, 828, x313, x4, x41, x5, x61, x7 and x8 you should have plenty of microcontrollers to work with.

I frequently recommend that people put the Uno bootloader on their ATmega328P 16MHz boards like Nano and Pro Mini. If a bit-more-advanced-than-beginner user has no need of majek's flash write modification, are there any other improvements in the version of Optiboot used in MiniCore vs the old one used for the stock Uno bootloader that warrant the extra complication of installing MiniCore? I did look at the comparison of majekw/optiboot/supermaster vs Optiboot/optiboot/v4.4 but I'm not sure how significant those commits are to this application.

No. If the user is using an ATmega328P go ATmega328PA and running them at 16 MHz them my core doesn't bring any advantage over the standard "Arduino UNO" option in the boards menu. The new bootloader is still equal or less than 512B, so I don't see why someone would prefer the "original" version. The Optiboot version that ships with Arduino IDE haven't had a significant update since late 2011. I'll regularly update my bootloader files and build new hex files when Majek pushes some significant changes.

It might be a good idea to add a link to the majekw/optiboot repository branch and commit that you got your bootloader source from to https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore/blob/master/avr/bootloaders/optiboot_flash/README.TXT(and your other cores) so that users can easily see if there have been any significant changes to majekw's fork or Optiboot/optiboot since that time. For example, I can see that your version is at least one commit behind majekw/optiboot/supermaster: Workaround for gcc 4.7/4.8 bug #50925 making unnecessary stack frame. · majekw/optiboot@6262a28 · GitHub.

Thanks! I'll definitely do that on all my cores :slight_smile:

Hi,

I WANT that MiniCore on my Arduino Pro Mini! :slight_smile:

But I got some problems...

The setup:
Two Arduino Pro Mini (identical), each with an ATmega328P, 8MHz (crystal clocked -
NO ceramic resonator), 3.3 V.

One prepared as Arduino as ISP and "OLD FASHION WIRED" (D10,D11,D12,D13...).
The other one on the way being MiniCored.

I did it.

It worked fine. No errors while flashing the new bootloader.

I disconnected the MiniCored Pro Mini and attached it directly to my FTDI cable
and tried to upload a simple sketch.

No chance.

The output of the IDE:
Sketch uses 2,208 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 216 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,832 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
/usr/local/arduino-1.6.9/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/home/mccramer/.arduino15/packages/watterott/hardware/avr/1.0.5/tools/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build85532bc1833fbf246595d6ba5d447797.tmp/CheckMCU.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 19:04:16
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/home/mccramer/.arduino15/packages/watterott/hardware/avr/1.0.5/tools/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/home/mccramer/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/ttyUSB0
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Then I tried the same thing but choosing the original bootloader.
Everything works including uploading a sketch.

Now I am sitting here, scratching the top of my head and asking myself,
what I did so badly wrong...
(WARNING! I am relatively new to Arduino...)

Thank you very much for any help in advance! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
mcc

Open Arduino IDE preferences and turn on verbose output for uploading. Then post the output of the bootloader burning and the code upload. The upload error you're experiencing means that there is something wrong with the serial connection. May be the bootloader, the baud rate or the physical connection :wink:

Please post a picture of your physical setup as well. My Pro minis have mirrored programming headers, so the programmer needs to be connected the opposite direction to make it work

Hi hansibull,

I put the posting into a file attached.

...the posting became too long...

Best regards,
mcc

Post EDIT:
A photo of the pysical setup may come tommorrow ... the light is too bad (and my tablets
cam also...).
On the other hand: Same setup with the original bootloader works nice...it cant be
THAT wrong (famous last words...)

Menu_027.png

log.txt (14.5 KB)

Quick question; does the little LED on the Pro mini flash twice every second or so, after you're burnt the bootloader?

EDIT:
If the LED is flashing, that means that the bootloader is loaded and working. My best guess is the baud rate. Open the boards.txt file located at /home/mccramer/.arduino15/packages/MiniCore/hardware/avr/1.0.1/boards.txt and replace the baud rate at line 72. Insert 19200, 57600 or 115200 instead. Try all if the first one isn't working. You'll have to restart the IDE to load the changes.

You should probably also try the 8 MHz and the 1 MHz internal oscillator options. Does these works?

Hi,

LED flashes:
1.) Arduino is not connected to the FTDI-cable or anything else: No LED flashes :wink:
2.) Connecting the Arduino to the FTDI-cable: Power LED lights up. No further LEDs do anything.
3.) Pressing the RESET button of the Arduino: D13-LED starts flashing. Rythm:
X.X.........X.X.........X.X.........X.X.........X.X.........X.X.........
Each period is about 2+ but less then 3 seconds long.
4.) This flashing only stops, when I disconnect the Arduino from the power.
The "no sync"-messages of the IDE while trying to flash a sketch come in sync with the flashes.

I tried the different baudrates via changeing the board.txt: No success.
BUT 8MHz internal clock WORKS.

Therefore I have mis-set the settings while I was uploading the bootloader.
I will now flash the bootloader again with corrected settings...wait a second...
(or two...) ....

TADA! FIXED! Christmas day! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your help!

A small sketch, which reads the fuse bits and
signature off the chip gave me:

Signature 1E 95 F
Fuses F7 D6 FD CF

I put the Fuses into here:
http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

which show me, that neither BOOTSZ0 nor BOOTSZ1 are set.
From here: Arduino / ATmega 328P fuse settings | Martyn Currey
I learned that a BOOTSZ=512byte are set when both BOOTZS*=1 which
seems not to be the case if MiniCore is flashed.
So it seems that BOOTSZ=2048 bytes is set with MiniCore?
Or am I again the only one, who needs some external additional informations needs to
be uploaded in the brain flash? :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help to get this running so quickly, hansibull!
Best regards,
mcc

Great to hear! :smiley: And thanks for providing such rich information; it makes it much easier to provide support when all necessary data is available :wink:

WIN<->WIN!
:slight_smile:

Additionally I won a great tiny bootloader!

Best regards
mcc

PS: The fuse settings con-fuse-d me a little (see previous posting)...
may I ask you to take a closer look...it looks like there are set to
a bootsize of 2048...at least to my naked eyes...