Go Down

Topic: Corrupted installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.12 and 1.8.13 (Read 240 times) previous topic - next topic

KeithWalker

I am using a desktop PC with Win8.1.
I acquired several ATtiny 85 modules. I was using Arduino IDE 1.8.5 and wanted to to download the bootloader for them using an Arduino micro as an  IDE programmer. I had used it successfully to download bootloaders for other Arduino boards.
There was no ATtiny listed in the boards in the IDE so I followed instructions in a tutorial to modify the preferences.txt file to include the Tiny. I could not get it to work and gave up.
When I went to download the bootloader to a Uno board, I got the following error message :
"Error while burning bootloader.
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)"
I removed the Arduino software from the computer, and searched as Administrater for any other Arduino files. I deleted the preferences.txt file and the other files in the same directory that contained information on the ATtiny.
I installed the Arduino IDE 1.18.12. When I used it to download a Uno bootloader, I got the same error message as before.
I deleted the preferences.txt and removed the Arduino 1.18.12 software. I installed the Arduino IDE 1.18.13, but still get the same problem.
I assume that there is a file somewhere that contains the ATtiny information that is not getting deleted.
Can you help me correct this problem please.
Regards,
Keith

pert

I followed instructions in a tutorial to modify the preferences.txt file to include the Tiny. I could not get it to work and gave up.
You can easily do it by following these instructions:
https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore
If you have any problems with that, we can definitely help you out.

However, that is completely unrelated to the "Error while burning bootloader. avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)" you're getting, so don't get the two issues mixed up with each other. We should work on fixing each of them individually.

When I went to download the bootloader to a Uno board, I got the following error message :
"Error while burning bootloader.
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)"
Which ISP programmer do you have connected between your computer and the Uno board?

I assume that there is a file somewhere that contains the ATtiny information that is not getting deleted.
Wrong. This error message has nothing to do with your attempt to install ATtiny support.

KeithWalker

Jan 08, 2021, 02:25 am Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 02:28 am by KeithWalker
I am not worried about getting the ATtiny boards working at this time. I want to solve the bootloader download problem.
As I mentioned in my post, I am using an Arduino Micro as an ISP programmer, see details below. I have used it successfully for downloading the bootloader to Unos, Micros and minis until I ran into this problem. I have the Arduino ISP 1.8.5 on my WinXP computer and it still works well with my Micro ISP programmer. It just gives me the error message on my Win8.1 computer which ever version of the Arduino ISP I install ever since I tried a Tiny tutorial.

I am trying to add a .jpg file of my Micro ISP programmer but have not figured out how yet.

pert

OK, so the problem is that you have the wrong programmer selected. You need to select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP (ATmega32U4). Despite the similar names, this is completely different from Tools > Programmer > ArduinoISP and Tools > Programmer > ArduinoISP.org

KeithWalker

That solved my problem. Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Keith

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Go Up