Go Down

Topic: starting up Arduino (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

blairgbh

I did notice one other thing.  I haven't changed anything on the Arduino board, but is it possible somebody put the IC on upside down?  I can't tell from the pictures in the manual where the notch should be.  It's at the bottom of the board when the USB port is at the top.  Is that correct?  I would think these things are tested before they are verified and shipped, but one never knows.

Thanks.

ballscrewbob

What where who ?
Can you post a picture of the board ?

Maybe add some other info like the IDE, OS etc ?

You could also look up the Atmel pin-out and verify the ground and VCC to ensure you know its in correctly.
Doubtful it was inserted wrong but stranger things have happened.

Best bet is remove all external wiring first and throw the blink sketch at it.
If that works then you at least know where the problem probably is.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

OldSteve

First I tried closing the IDE, reopening and reloading the sketch.  Didn't work.
That works in some cases. A lot of people have had a problem uploading when the sketch is opened by clicking directly on the *.ino file.

Then I put 1.6.10 in the trash, and loaded 1.6.9, opened, uploaded the sketch, then changed the values to 100 milliseconds, and reloaded.  Still didn't work.

I don't know what else to try.
Neither do I at this stage.

I did notice that the serial port shows a slightly different message than what's in the Arduino manual.  Manual says it should say /dev/tty.usbmodem, but on my Mac it says /dev/cu.usbmodem.  Also, there is only one choice, not two.
As I mentioned, I don't use a Mac, (never have), so I can't help with anything Mac-specific.

Finally, I don't see the rx and tx LEDs lighting up when I upload.
No, I didn't think you would. The uploading output that you posted indicates that the upload process doesn't get started at all.

If there's nothing else to try, I'll be glad to talk with the Arduino folks........but there's no phone #, and they haven't responded to my request for help yesterday.
Any other suggestions?  Again, thanks for your patience, I really don't know what's wrong here.
I don't know what else to try. Pity you don't have a second board to test. That would eliminate problems with the board itself.

I did notice one other thing.  I haven't changed anything on the Arduino board, but is it possible somebody put the IC on upside down?  I can't tell from the pictures in the manual where the notch should be.  It's at the bottom of the board when the USB port is at the top.  Is that correct?  I would think these things are tested before they are verified and shipped, but one never knows.
Thanks.
The IC is correctly oriented. The notch, and therefore pin 1, should be at the opposite end ofthe board to the USB socket.

At this stage, I'm as lost as you. You'll have to hope that someone else comes along with another suggestion.
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

OldSteve

What where who ?
Can you post a picture of the board ?

Maybe add some other info like the IDE, OS etc ?
That's all been previously mentioned.
My Mac is using 10.11.1, El Capitan
Originally the problem appeared with IDE V1.6.10. He's now uninstalled that and installed V1.6.9, but the same problem persists.

You could also look up the Atmel pin-out and verify the ground and VCC to ensure you know its in correctly.
Doubtful it was inserted wrong but stranger things have happened.
The board is an original UNO, and the chip is oriented correctly. (Same as my UNOs.)

Best bet is remove all external wiring first and throw the blink sketch at it.
If that works then you at least know where the problem probably is.
That's exactly what's not working. The sketch is a modified "Blink", with 100mS 'on' and 'off' periods, (posted on the previous page, and tested by me. Nothing wrong with the code.), but it won't upload, and the upload output message is shown on the previous page of this thread. It doesn't get beyond "Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200", but shows "Done uploading".

As I say, all of this has been previously mentioned.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

ballscrewbob

Sorry for coming in late.
Failed to notice it was page 2...my own fault.
Only saw the first post from P2...will try take more care.

Odd how so many macs are having so many issues right now.
Anyone know what was the most stable IDE for the mac's
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

OldSteve

Sorry for coming in late.
Failed to notice it was page 2...my own fault.
Only saw the first post from P2...will try take more care.
Not a problem. And I didn't mean to sound rude - it was early and I was still half-asleep and trying to work out what else I might be able to suggest.

Odd how so many macs are having so many issues right now.
Anyone know what was the most stable IDE for the mac's
None? :D

I remember El Capitan had a lot of issues at one stage with the Arduino clones and their USB to TTL converters, but actually thought there were more problems lately with V1.6.10 on Windows machines.
I really thought this was another 1.6.10 issue, but since it persists with V1.6.9 I'm lost.

The board's connected OK and the correct port is selected, because clicking on "Get Board Info" results in this:-
Code: [Select]
BN: Arduino/Genuino Uno
VID: 2341
PID: 0043
SN: 9543731343435110E031

blairgbh

I tried to run the loopback test on my MacBook, at Arduino's request.

When I opened the serial screen, I tried to enter 'greg' and the send and receive LEDs on the board lit and then went out.  Then, nothing else happened.  Tried to enter 'greg' again, and the computer locked up.  Seriously.

Couldn't shut down the computer without closing Arduino, and couldn't close Arduino.  Had to force a shutdown.

Tried the whole routine again, same result.  I don't know what else to try, I've been working on this with you folks most of this week!

Sincerely,

blairgbh--that's my moniker on the forum, so you can read all the posts and the responses from people and from Arduino staff.

Coding Badly

Wayward post appended.

Coding Badly

When you perform the loopback test there should be two jumper wires connected to your board.

Did you have just two jumper wires connected to your board?

blairgbh

Yes, there were just two jumper wires connected.

Coding Badly

It is my understanding that some USB ports on Apple computers do not deliver a full 500 mA.  Are you certain you are connecting the board to a "full power" USB port?

Have you tried a different USB cable?

blairgbh

I'm using the cable that came with the Arduino board.  Should I try the USB port on the right side of the Mac?  Is it different?

Coding Badly

Yes.

I have no way of knowing beyond Google.  Which you can use just as easily as I can.

ballscrewbob

@ blairgbh

Do you know if your "mac" has USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports and how to tell the difference ?
Many people have reported issues with a number of OS and USB 3.0 ports.

BTW they usually have a blue location insert if you look at them closely.

Another thing that seems to be a common issue with "macs" is that they don't always give out the full power they are supposed to on USB ports as a whole'.

This isn't a problem with some boards that may be using external power but seems like it can be an issue for those using JUST the USB port to power an Arduino.

If you are one of the unlucky "mac" users you could consider buying a POWERED USB 2.0 HUB of reasonable quality to overcome the problem.

blairgbh

I purchased a powered 3.0 USB port and tried it with the Arduino.  Didn't work.  Tried to upload the blink program, error message says failed to upload.  Tried again without the powered port, still didn't work.  Instructions say that the 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0.  Should I have purchased the 2.0 powered USB hub?  Bought the 3.0 at Best Buy, brand name is Insignia.

I have tried everything this forum has suggested; thanks for all your help, collectively.  Still haven't solved the problem, but I'll keep trying!  Any other suggestions?

blairgbh

Go Up