Go Down

Topic: starting up Arduino (Read 3657 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Yes you should have got a USB 2.0 powered hub.
The forum here is littered with people having issues with USB 3.0.

When you buy it also check the power supply that come with it is capable of supplying the rated current to ALL of the ports.

I like some of the BestBuy stuff but they also have some really nasty cheap crap too.
The brand you got is mediocre at best.

Take a look at this post to give you some ideas on a hub.

Some of the best guys in here have posted thier findings.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

blairgbh

OK, I have ordered a 2.0 hub.  By the way, I took my MacBook into the Apple store along with the Arduino board and cables.  Computer and cables check out fine, they don't know why the computer and the Arduino board aren't communicating.

Will advise when I get the 2.0 USB hub and try that.  The Arduino folks have been silent for the last week, maybe they are as stumped as I am.

thanks--

blairgbh

ballscrewbob

Hi Blair

This is just a suggestion as I am not MAC literate.

Do you have access to another board to try or maybe another computer (preferably windows) to rule out the board as being the issue.

Also you may want to check out any other posts by doing a search in here for "El Capitan" just to see how many others may have issues that might relate to yours.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

blairgbh

OK, I bought a USB 2.0 powered hub, and tried it.  Still doesn't work.

Error message when trying to upload:

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/cu.usbmodem1A21": No such file or directory
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

ballscrewbob

Well right now I am as stumped as you and can only think it is a board related hardware issue.

Can you post up a decent pic of the front and back of the board please.

I mean you have tried different IDE's and everything USB related.
Also post the verbose output if you don't mind.

Your VID and PID both indicate a genuine Arduino UNO but I just found a reference to boards with the CH340 / 341 chip also giving out the same VID and PID which is sorta naughty but hey wth.

So I am going to point you at two links which may be of assistance.

First one here.

Second one here.

Ignore that it says its for the NANO as the CH340 drivers are pretty much all the same.

Go Up