Go Down

Topic: WS2812B LEDs powered by Arduiono go crazy (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

but when I add a resistor, the LEDs receive no signal from my Arduino
You sure you got the right value, between 220 and 510 Ohms not K Ohms?

JoGie_

Yes, my resistors have a value of 470 Ohm
I'm actually powering the LEDs without it and it works just fine.
What's the purpose of the resistor again?

INTP

The purpose of the resistor is to keep component and board manufacturers from making more money when you have to buy new components because you run too much current through them.

Grumpy_Mike

The resistor has two purposes:-
1) To limit the current if the drive signal is above the LED strip's supply voltage. This happens frequently because most people do not use a correctly rated power supply.

2) To absorb reflections due to the rapid changing output signal and impedance discontinuity.

If putting a 470R resistor in line with the data signal stops the strip working you have something else seriously wrong with your setup.

JoGie_

Hi,

after a second try, the resistor worked well and I was finally able to finish my project.

Thank you so much for your help and assistance :)

ProCactus

On mine some of them I use 10K, My setup has 8 full universes spanning around the loungeroom. Turns out noise is a huge issue, at least for us for the time being. strings can light up as a clone of another string even when not connected except power.

Grumpy_Mike

strings can light up as a clone of another string even when not connected except power.
Why is that surprising? Floating inputs are perfect for picking up interference. You only have to ground the data in, or connect it to ground through a 10K to stop this.

Go Up