opinions on death .

Some people tend to get depressed when noting the idea of "inevitable death" . some people even tend to think that a FINITE life cannot have any meaning on the long run .
some even lose their productivity since they tend to think that everything they would construct in life will fade away later on in time and that they will not be able to enjoy any of it once they die .
what do you think about this ?

and for the more important question , that currently has no scientific answer (so it's open for opinions and discussion) , what do you think happens to human consciousness after death ?

thank you .

Death is the end. Full stop. No more. Past tense.

Of course there some who will then ask what is the point of life then?

There is no "point". It is just a fact of life.

As we all have life, we may as well make the best of it for ourselves and others.

Weedpharma

Without a human conscious a body, living, is just a bag of meat. Medically, we can keep a body breathing, but we can't keep someone living.

If the human conscious lives on after the body stops dying, then death hasn't occured. Being that the human brain is merely a series of complex chemical reactions it should be possible at some point to gather enough information about the chemical reactions to recreate a simulation of the human consciousness. Once that happens immortality can be achieved.

I'm trying to accomplish that with an arduino but my code says ERROR

Well we can't help you load your consciousness into your Arduino unless you tell us what the error is. It's not another one of those darned "not in sync" errors, is it? Be sure to use something more elaborate than that blink sketch, or you'll have really boring time in your Arduino-powered mind. On, off, on, off, on, off....

my code:

#include forty6and2.h

long unsigned int time = 0;
bool alive = 0;

void setup(){
//add something witty here
}

void loop{
while(!alive){
lifeRemaining = 88;
}

if(time > lifeRemaining){
alive = 0;
}
else time++;
}

for some reason I keep getting lifeRemaining as undefined...... and something "in included file"... "extraChromozome was not declared in this scope"

There is no such thing as life or death.

We are all figments of our collective imagination.

Weedpharma

Immediately after I am dead I will not know that I was ever alive. Just as I knew nothing about me before I was conceived.

And nobody will be able to remind me that I forgot to do something. That is a great comfort.

...R

travis_farmer:
I tend to be very material, in that I would miss that I couldn't take my possessions with me, especially my Arduinos. :wink: as I have not had much luck amassing friends, I instead seem to be amassing material things to fill the void. so I am disappointed in knowing I cannot take it with me.

as for the second question, if all I can take with me is my consciousness, then I would be very very disappointed if I have to leave that at the door as well. I am of the opinion that our consciousness will rise through the bindings of our level of existence, and graduate up to a higher level of thinking.

~Travis

Thanks for sharing Travis :slight_smile: .
Yes that's a possibility .

weedpharma:
Death is the end. Full stop. No more. Past tense.

Of course there some who will then ask what is the point of life then?

There is no "point". It is just a fact of life.

As we all have life, we may as well make the best of it for ourselves and others.

Weedpharma

that's a valid theory .
thank you .

Qdeathstar:
Without a human conscious a body, living, is just a bag of meat. Medically, we can keep a body breathing, but we can't keep someone living.

If the human conscious lives on after the body stops dying, then death hasn't occured. Being that the human brain is merely a series of complex chemical reactions it should be possible at some point to gather enough information about the chemical reactions to recreate a simulation of the human consciousness. Once that happens immortality can be achieved.

I'm trying to accomplish that with an arduino but my code says ERROR

yes a human corpse is just something that is on the way to be recycled by nature , and it's not more valuable than dirt . but the essence of human consciousness is the part that is not understood .

Artificial consciousness is actually a highly debatable matter .
consciousness is not fully understood though , weather we will or we will not understand it at any point of our human existence is also debatable .

thank you .

LarryD:
There is no such thing as life or death.

i would like to hear more about that if you may .

Robin2:
Immediately after I am dead I will not know that I was ever alive. Just as I knew nothing about me before I was conceived.

And nobody will be able to remind me that I forgot to do something. That is a great comfort.

...R

i am afraid that might not be the case Robin .
since if the architecture of your consciousness get's born again within this universe you will be revived .
+Scientists are actually unable to prove that "death is the end" .
+Consciousness can even be detached from the body according to some scientific theories .
since after the breakthroughs of quantum mechanics and the observation theory , and the fact that at the core of matter there is actually "nothing" . and i mean that .
Scientists are starting to think that reality and the physical word themselves are dependent on consciousness .

+an other theory suggests that the universe will collapse on itself at one point and then in explodes all over again . so that humans will have their lives to live , over and over and over .... again .
and since humans are detached from time on their time of death . the shift from death to being a baby again will seem to take no time at all for the consciousness itself , but you will of course lose all your memory and knowledge . (that is a crazy theory but it exists)

+according to probability theories , and if the universe is actually infinite in size and if time is really infinite in length and duration , and if we suppose that this universe will continue to exist forever . every single human body will come to exist again in this same universe at some point . even if that's a billion billion billion billion
...... billion billion years from the instance of human death . it will seem like a split second to human consciousness ... (this is also a theory) .

+and of course for the most well known theory of all , God will resurrect us after death .

i would like to hear your opinion regarding all this .

weedpharma:
We are all figments of our collective imagination.

Weedpharma

Yes , that's actually a well established theory , related to quantum mechanics and observation .
the definition of imagination is though relative here .

Robin2:

...R

the most remarkable thing about existence is that it exists . sometimes i look out of the window and just be amazed that something actually exists instead of vague nothingness .
there is something very interesting about this . the odd thing about an "infinite" cycle of death and life . is that it contains an infinite amount of pleasure yet and infinite amount of pain to . though lets hypothetically say that you would have the choice , would you pick a life that blissfully ends or an infinite cycle of life and death ?

amine2:
i am afraid that might not be the case Robin .
since if the architecture of your consciousness get's born again within this universe you will be revived .

In a complete spirit of friendship I believe that is Bllcks

Atheists are entitled to believe things too.

...R

It's all just conjecture. Having a majority belief or being in a minority has no bearing on the question. The question cannot be answered.

ChrisTenone:
It's all just conjecture. Having a majority belief or being in a minority has no bearing on the question. The question cannot be answered.

Yes , the question cannot be answered .
that's why we get to have personal opinions about it , what do you think Chris ?

Robin2:

...R

that's a valid opinion and i respect it . what's your response to the matter of choice though ? (i quoted you twice)

Robin2:

I believe you are correct. :slight_smile: