Go Down

Topic: controlling high AC load ~3-5KW (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

guy_c

Hello,

What relay would you recommend for controlling resistive ac loads of 3-5KW - 220V environment

Thanks for sharing,

Guy

terryking228

Hi, Usually large optically-isolated Solid State Relays are used.

Example  HERE:

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

allanhurst

Or a dirty great relay called a contactor..... and to drive that you'll need a small SSR.

regards
Allan

MarkT

Opto-triac driving a large triac?  Its only a resistive load (or is it lighting?  Tungsten lighting is not
resistive like heating elements, there are large surge currents).  5kW at 220V is 25A or so, not uber-massive.
[ I DO NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them unread, use the forum please ]

guy_c

Aug 27, 2016, 05:40 pm Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 05:44 pm by guy_c
Hi, Usually large optically-isolated Solid State Relays are used.

Example  HERE:

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...
Thanks,
With a 1.6V drop this would make @4KW ~(4000/220)*1.6=28W. This is pretty high and it must be cumbersome with the heatsink(?)

guy_c

Or a dirty great relay called a contactor..... and to drive that you'll need a small SSR.

regards
Allan

you mean with 220VAC control voltage? Any specific recommendation? A part you worked with?

allanhurst

There are loads of suppliers for these devices - any large electrical wholesaler will carry a variety. They're used for large ac motors and similar nasty loads. They  often have 3-phase contact sets.

I have used them, and if correctly rated have found them  very reliable.

And yes, they generally do have a 220-240 volt coil, so a small SSR would be necessary to drive them from a logic source.

regards

Allan.

guy_c

Thanks Allan, i found these devices in din rail mount modules, 16 and 20A, 220v coil. Ill look into them and report here my finding
Guy

allanhurst

- They sometimes also have an extra small contact set for mains-level logic.  Can be useful.

regards

Allan

guy_c

Sep 01, 2016, 09:50 am Last Edit: Sep 01, 2016, 09:51 am by guy_c
- They sometimes also have an extra small contact set for mains-level logic.  Can be useful.

regards

Allan

Found this thing with 220V, ~3VA command consumption. Can you point me one with logic commande?

Thanks for your time
Guy

allanhurst

Try ebay etc for ssr - choose one which will accept 5v input at less than 20mA.

Or you could use an opto triac such as the MOC302.

Note the contactor you referenced is only rated at 3kW  -  if you want to control 5kW suggest you get a bigger one.

The 25A is the steady state current it can carry, not accounting for high inrush currents.

regards

Allan

guy_c

Yes I was thinking of driving the 220V commande with a zero cross moc (the3063) and a triac as the 3063 output driver is limited to 150mW dissipation 150mA. I should not have inrush current: my loads are the resistor of a water heater rated at 2.5KW or of a bathroom resistive radiator rated at 1.8KW, each with it's own command. Yet I was thinking that with a logic command contactor life should be easier

guy_c

bought this thing. Will play with it and report here

Go Up