Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED]Connecting esp8266 using a 5V dc source and a 10K pot (Read 2156 times) previous topic - next topic

avistein

I have this one : http://www.amazon.in/ESP8266-Serial-Wireless-Transceiver-Module/dp/B00O34AGSU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Now it works on 3.3V.I don't have any voltage regulator.So I am thinking to use an old android charger(output:5V) and a 10K pot and regulate it to 3.3V. So will this be a problem to connect the esp8266 this way?

OldSteve

I have this one : http://www.amazon.in/ESP8266-Serial-Wireless-Transceiver-Module/dp/B00O34AGSU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Now it works on 3.3V.I don't have any voltage regulator.So I am thinking to use an old android charger(output:5V) and a 10K pot and regulate it to 3.3V. So will this be a problem to connect the esp8266 this way?
Yes, it will be a problem. You can't do that. 500uA will flow through the pot, and you can only use a fraction of that. An ESP8266 uses far more current.
Forget the idea of using a voltage divider. Use a DC-DC converter, or at the very least, a linear regulator.
Doesn't your Arduino board have a 3.3V regulator? Or doesn't it supply enough current? (I've never used an ESP8266, and can't be bothered looking up it's specs.)
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

avistein

Yeah you're right.I just now checked with a micro servo with regulated voltage 5V and the servo could not run properly ,while without the pot it ran smoothlu.So it's not getting enough current.Btw the charger is rated at 1A output.
No the 3.3V can give a max output of 50mA and the esp8266 requires more current(max=200mA) than that.It seems that I gotta buy a regulator.What's your opinion about LM1117 or will it get too much heated without heatsink?

OldSteve

It seems that I gotta buy a regulator.What's your opinion about LM1117 or will it get too much heated without heatsink?
An LM1117 should be fine for a 5V to 3.3V conversion at that current. It would dissipate about 340mW at 200mA.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

Wawa

No the 3.3V can give a max output of 50mA...
Depends on which of Arduino.
The Mega and Uno_R3 are 150mA (50mA is wrong in the datasheet).
A Nano is 50mA, and a Nano clone is <20mA.
Still better to use an external 3.3volt 1117.
Leo..

OldSteve

Depends on which of Arduino.
The Mega and Uno_R3 are 150mA (50mA is wrong in the datasheet).
A Nano is 50mA, and a Nano clone is <20mA.
Still better to use an external 3.3volt 1117.
Leo..
When he said 50mA, I automatically assumed a Nano.

Go Up